FactoryTalk AssetCentre

bce123

Lifetime Supporting Member
anyone have any experience with FactoryTalk AssetCentre? comments good/bad?
I got stuck on a project following behind in which the client has already purchased FactoryTalk AssetCentre to link compact logix to an oracle database. Is this a good thing? I have no experience with it at all. thanks for your replies, Steve

Asset Centre is ok but can be bypassed pretty easy if you want. I am confusted about the oracle database part though. It will not connect to oracle RDBMS though it has is't own sql db.

MDT software is a little more secure.

it seems it was chosen to create a database that could be linked to a data base ie: good ab salesman?

I was told it was chosen becase of its speed and ability to read write to the database for loading setups from the database and recording part counts weights measurements ect...

Sounds like they mean FT Historian for data collection? Or FT Batch for loading setups and batch operations or FT Transaction Manager for both.

Here is a link to transaction manager http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/data/transmgr/

I will give you a tip though using transaction manager is a real bear with oracle. We have 2 onsite oracle DBA's and they spent a lot of time with it. I started moving the apps to this http://www.oldi.com/eatm.aspx to talk to oracle and it works much better.

Now we have about 60% of production on SAP and the rest on oracle but we are moving away from oracle at a steady rate.

SAP is a much better platform to run your buisness on than oracle is and much more cost effective. If your customer is not yet sold on oracle they would be wise to stay away from it IMHO.

Last edited:
Sounds like they mean FT Historian for data collection? Or FT Batch for loading setups and batch operations or FT Transaction Manager for both.
KID,Yes arived onsite today FT Transaction Manager is what they really have

Ok then yes you can read/write to a oracle DB with that but it is a PITA mostly on the oracle end.

If they are only doing flat table stuff then not too bad but if it will be relational then you will have boat loads of fun.