RSLinx as DDE/OPC server on remote PC

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
I remember reading a thread that explained how to use a remote PC running RSLinx Classic as a server to allow an Ecxel spreadsheet running on another PC on the same network to read data from PLCs through the server.

I have successfully created topics on the server and can run a spreadsheet on it that shows updated values from PLCs. I just need to know how to format the link to look for the server, rather than having it try to open RSLinx on my PC.

Here's an example of what works on the server:

=RSLINX|'1_LITER_STACKER'!'N11:1,L1,C1'

I've tried things like "=\\192.168.9.92\RSLINX|'1_LITER_STACKER'!'N11:1,L1,C1'" without success.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Better late than never...

I reference a tag like this using Excel 2010:

=RSLINX|1_LITER_STACKER!'N11:1'

Better late than never...

I reference a tag like this using Excel 2010:

=RSLINX|1_LITER_STACKER!'N11:1'

I was always under the impression that "piping" the data via DDE into excel performs no error checking after the connection is established. This means that a cell can be displaying a PLC tag value perfectly OK, then the link could get broken, the cell value doesn't change (obviously), and there's no indication that the link has gone.

I don't have a full version of RSLinx to check this out.

A more robust way would be to use excel VBA to open the connection, get the tag values, etc. At least the connection status would be available to VBA by way of result codes to indicate a broken connection.

Over to the excel VBA experts to show how this is done, not my strong subject.

I misread the question... he's asking about a remote Linx server, not a local server. I typically use Excel just to do a quick check of tag values (non critical stuff). I prefer using an OPC application for "real" monitoring, since it has error-checking and the like built in.

While I have not had an opportunity to try this myself, the tutorial located here may allow you to utilize DDE to connect to a remote server.

I believe the format used in the Excel string must look like this.

Last edited:
While I have not had an opportunity to try this myself, the tutorial located here may allow you to utilize DDE to connect to a remote server.

I believe the format used in the Excel string must look like this.

Thanks, the second link is promising. I am going to try this carefully, but now I mut watch NARCOS at home with my family.

I will post my results tomorrow