O/T Buck Boost Transformer 380V 240V 3ø

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a machine that I built for here in California.
It has a couple of MPL Motors and Kinetix 300 drives 240V three phase.

I have to build a couple more for China.
I want to and keep all of the same components, and build it for the 240 Volt three phase,.
But it won't work over there I will need to get them to get a 3 phase 380V >>> 240 V Buck Boost transformer.
~5 kw
Any suggestions on where to get one?

Also note you won't make friends, or future sales,
if the client has to use your choice of voltage over there choice.
We are the client, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
I don't want to redesign the system for a different voltage, plus I want to use the same Motors and drives so that they can be interchangeable for spares etc.

I will need to get them to get a 3 phase 380V >>> 240 V Buck Boost transformer.
~5 kw

First a tip: Check your Kinetix 300 motor drive specifications. Many drives can convert higher input voltages to lower motor output voltages. If the drive has an input range that includes 380, and an output range that includes 240, then all you have to do is set the parameters to the correct numbers.

"Buck-Boost" usually refers to an auto-transformer (one leg of secondary common with primary). You might be able to find a standard step-down multi-tap transformer with 380 primary and 240 secondary windings (or one with 240/380 secondary that can be easily reversed to 380 primary/240 secondary).

The Acme T-3-79551-1S is a 380 primary/220 wye secondardy 3-phase 15 kva transformer:
http://www.acmetransformerspro.com/...ransformersselectionchartthreephasegroupr.htm

You can find 380 primary to 208/120 volt secondary 3-phase tranformers in the 5 kva range, with four 2.5% multi-tap windings for "Below full voltage". Setting the secondary tap 4 steps "Below" the normal full voltage tap allows you to get 229 volts out of the secondary side (but no 120 volts which I assume you do not need anyway). The Temco 50 Hertz MT6D1-EUR, 6 kva, 380/208 volt 3-phase transformer will probably work for your needed 240 volt supply.
http://www.phaseconverter.com/tptransformer380v-50Hz.html#380v50

Here is a China-made transformer with 380 primary and 220 volt secondary, any range from 3 kva up to 800 kva:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/538839387/3_phase_voltage_transformer_380V_to.html

You can easily find plenty of Euro standard 3-phase 240 volt primary/380 volt wye secondary transformers. All you would have to do is reverse the connections and label it as such. Electric current will flow through a transformer in either direction, so the primary and secondary are reversible, but that must be done with good marking or nameplate labeling.
http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/product_selection.html?p=euro-selection-guide#240_standard

Last edited:
I see now that your Kinetix 300 dirves are servo motor drives, and they do not have a wide range of input voltages (unlike the typical VFD drive).

If you get transformers of 1 to 1 ratio then wire your primary as Wye (Star) and the secondary as Delta you will get close to the voltages required
Our NZ system is 400 volts +/-5%

This cover the range 380/415 then you get 220/240 .
Star delta , the square root of 3

Lancie confirms, as I thought, that buck boost is an Auto Transformer
Our code makes Auto transfomers on mains power supplies non compliant
this could possibly also be the case in China

Last edited:
I've re-thought this, and based on your suggestions I decided to ditch the 230V, and buy the 460V Motors and drives.
They will work with the 380V, where the 230V drives would not.
So we'll have different motors and drives here versus there.
Oh well, it will be a lot cleaner running the system off of the native 380V 3Ø.
Plus, I've got two fewer transformers to purchase.
Thanks for your suggestions.