S7 : where to start?

Doug-P

I feel I'm at the absolute bottom of a steep learning curve.
I've dealt with mostly A-B products for years (PLC-2, PLC-3, SLC, a brush with CLX, some Automation Direct). It's all very familiar and comfortable.

Lately though, I've had to deal with our hybrid cranes which are controlled by a Siemens S7 300. Just navigating the program is an Easter egg hunt. It seems very clunky compared to RSLogix. I downloaded some S7 manuals to try to get some familiarity with this system - LAD and STL. I discovered I need to get much more elementary - data blocks?, RLO?, :confused:

Can someone suggest some beginner level publications? Somthing like:

Introduction.
To.
Accumulator 1.

Thanks

p.s. No manuals (that I've seen) were provided by the contractor. Lovely, eh?

Last edited:
Thanks, Moggie! Looks like I'll be doing some printing (I'm old school that way).

Do you have access to a plc that you can experiment with, or failing that, PLCSIM?

I do. It'll take a bit of doing tho', there's no local(?) I/O, everything is Profibus, something else that's new to me. The main physical I/O is all WAGO modules - a mix of digital and analog I/O. There's also an OP73 for messages/operator input, a Unidrive for the hoist control, and an encoder (absolute, IIRC) for hoist position. Excluding the last three items I can cobble together a power supply, the processor and some of our spare WAGO parts to get a basic system running.

I cannot say whether PLCSIM is available or not. If it's a part of the SIMATIC package it may be there.

Thanks for the reply.

I'd start with the powered up CPU and add the I/O later. Which specific model CPU do you have?

I'd start with the powered up CPU and add the I/O later. Which specific model CPU do you have?
I don't have it in front of me but I think it's a 300. I won't be able to check for sure 'til Sunday night. I'll post the part number here when I find out.

I don't have it in front of me but I think it's a 300. I won't be able to check for sure 'til Sunday night. I'll post the part number here when I find out.
300 is the series (think of it as a ControlLogix with modules).
400 is also a series but the hardware is huge compared to the 300 series (think of a PLC 5 series hardware).
CPUs come in the numbering scheme, 312, 314, 315, etc.
Then you have the 315-2DP or 315 PN/DP and such.
These are options, 2 DP is dual profibus connectors (and access points for you for that matter).
PN is Profinet similar to industrial Ethernet
There's MPI and such but for now I'd worry about the model and take it from there.
As far as the rest of the part number goes denotes the work memory and such, not imoprtant for now.
Keep in mind that newer CPUs WILL NOT work without an MMC (Memory Card).

I checked the processor. It's a 315-2 DP

I also printed out the 'Getting Started' manual from the link moggie provided (y) and managed to enter the first elementary programs using LAD. All went well until I got to the function block section. I managed to create the block and open it but never saw the symbol/variable table, which is supposed to appear above the LAD display. So, I gather that function blocks are analogous to subroutines in RSLogix, correct?

I havent' yet looked for the simulator.

I checked the processor. It's a 315-2 DP

I also printed out the 'Getting Started' manual from the link moggie provided (y) and managed to enter the first elementary programs using LAD. All went well until I got to the function block section. I managed to create the block and open it but never saw the symbol/variable table, which is supposed to appear above the LAD display. So, I gather that function blocks are analogous to subroutines in RSLogix, correct?

I havent' yet looked for the simulator.
Function Blocks are Function Blocks as in the AB world Function Blocks.
They are NOT subroutines.
You can call a Function Block from OB1 or any other FC.

I managed to create the block and open it but never saw the symbol/variable table, which is supposed to appear above the LAD display.

The section you are looking for is most likely hidden due to the window arrangement - move your mouse over the dividing line and drag it down to reveal the Interface Declaration.

sss.JPG

The section you are looking for is most likely hidden due to the window arrangement - move your mouse over the dividing line and drag it down to reveal the Interface Declaration.
Yes, I stumbled on this by clicking on the window maximize button in the upper right. I was then able to enter the variable names and value as mentioned in the tutorial.