Write a program to communicate CompactLogix in Linux

colorofwind

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, we want to write a program in C/C++ to communicate with AB CompactLogix PLC. It will be run in Linux. The basic task of this program is to ask for and receive tag values so we can save them to a database. I guess by sending a string of bytes to PLC, it will reply back with some useful info. We found an AB document which tells the TCP/IP Encapsulation Packet Structure. However, there's a section of bytes (called Transport-PDU) that isn't explained in the document.

I don't know if this is the right direction to tackle the project. Please share your experience or opinions. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
I do know it is possible, the Inductive Automation guys have a SCADA suite that will run in Linux that communicates to a subset of AB hardware. They use OPC-UA IO server.

But other than that, good luck.

I do know it is possible, the Inductive Automation guys have a SCADA suite that will run in Linux that communicates to a subset of AB hardware. They use OPC-UA IO server.

But other than that, good luck.

Thanks. I checked their website. It seems that it's commercial and not free. I know it's very hard to start from scratch, but the other genius programmer in the group may figure it out :unsure:

Thanks. I checked their website. It seems that it's commercial and not free. I know it's very hard to start from scratch, but the other genius programmer in the group may figure it out :unsure:

And the time you or the other geniuses spend will cost you more then just buying it in the first place. Or is this an intellectual exercise?