Backup alarm logs using SQL

tarlazao

Hi my friends,

I'm having some problems using A&E and microsoft SQL express, I will use topics so it will be clear for us:

(Using FactoryTalk View SE 6.10 / Microsoft SQL server express 2008)

1) I created a database in FTView, and Im using it to save the A&E logs, how can I make a backup every 2 or 3 days so a file will be created on my desktop?

2)How can I see that files that I made the backup, I mean, the extension are .mdf and .mds, are there any free software or rockwell software that I can use?

Thanks, and sory about my english.

Lift Trucks have backup alarms. Firetrucks have backup alarms.
Never saw a PLC with backup alarms, sorry. :confused:

Tarlazao,

Is there an option in FactoryTalk to save the files as a CSV (Comma-Separated Value) file? I know that the older previous RSView32 program, you could write a Visual Basic macro routine to create and save a log file in the CSV format. This file type can be opened by spreadsheet programs such as Microsoft Excel, and also can easily be converted to a Microsoft Database file (mdb extension type).

My interpretation of what the OP is asking for is a way to confirm that the alarms are being backed up in the SQL database.

First, Microsoft has a free downloadable SQL Server Management Tool that allows you to view some rows of a table or View.

Second, you could use ODBC to connect to Microsoft Access or other ODBC client to view the records. I'm sure that there is some freeware that could accomplish this.

Tarlazao,

Is there an option in FactoryTalk to save the files as a CSV (Comma-Separated Value) file? I know that the older previous RSView32 program, you could write a Visual Basic macro routine to create and save a log file in the CSV format. This file type can be opened by spreadsheet programs such as Microsoft Excel, and also can easily be converted to a Microsoft Database file (mdb extension type).

Hi Lancie1,
Thats a way that I can try... I will read about this way, for the ones that need this solution, I found a note that can help:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33924

Chuck Woodbury said:
Have you tried setting it up with an ODBC connection and have it log directly to the SQL Database. I think RSView32 was able to log data in that manner.

I think the problem here is that I dont have any software installed that connect trhough odbc to SQL database the computer can just have FTView and freewares

mflaugh said:
My interpretation of what the OP is asking for is a way to confirm that the alarms are being backed up in the SQL database.

First, Microsoft has a free downloadable SQL Server Management Tool that allows you to view some rows of a table or View.

Second, you could use ODBC to connect to Microsoft Access or other ODBC client to view the records. I'm sure that there is some freeware that could accomplish this.

Actually, they are concerned that something happens and the computer stop working and in the future they need to know about as old alarm, if they dont have a back up, they cannot acess this old alarms..

I have SQL express but I cannot View tables or sth like that.. Do you know the name of that software?

ODBC will be a problem because I dont have a client...

Thanks for the answers

Actually, they are concerned that something happens and the computer stop working and in the future they need to know about as old alarm, if they dont have a back up, they cannot acess this old alarms..

Is the SQL database on the same PC? If so, that would present a problem for seeing the backup of alarms if the computer stops working.

I have SQL express but I cannot View tables or sth like that.. Do you know the name of that software?

This is the management software I was referring to. It won't allow you to view all the of data but it may have tools to export the contents of tables.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7593

ODBC will be a problem because I dont have a client...

Something as simple as MS Excel can be an ODBC client

I think, you can use SQL Server Management Studio Express for set period of backup by these following
1. Open SQL Server Management Studio and connect to A&E Server
2. When it connected. Right click at your Database, select task and click back up...
3. Change the Backup set will expire to After 2-3 days that you want

AFAIK you can't backup or work with FT View alarms with raw SQL tools because from FT View it is a modified SQL not standard so you have to backup and work with these alarms with other AB products that understnad this AB modified SQL such as rockwell historian.

Unless it has changed you can't even port to standard SQL from rockwell historian.

We use standard SQL here but we use a module from oldi in the processor rack that writes diretly to a SQL database.