Citect serial connection to Omron CJ1M using OMFINS3

roco

Hi all,
When using serial comms, I've usually used the Omron protocl to connect to a CJ1M.

After checking the driver help in Citect 7.20 it has this info,
Series 3 PLCs(CP, CJ/CS, NSJ) using serial comms should use COMx transport driver and Omfins3 CitectSCADA driver.

I can't seem to get this to work. Any thoughts, ideas or success with this configuration?

I would use Ethernet if I were you. Have several systems set up with Ethernet and working well.
The last time I used serial was on an older C200HS and the comms I used was RS422 not 232.

I agree BobB, ethernet is the way to go. However, I'd like to get this working if possible. The help file says,

"The differences between each series is most noted when using Serial communication. CitectSCADA's OMRON driver is designed for serial communication with only Series 1 devices. It is based on Omron's native C-Mode HostLink protocol, which is too simplified to support all the tag types required by the Series 2 and 3 devices. Therefore, serial communication with these devices is based on the FINS encapsulation protocol, which requires CitectSCADA's OMFINS driver."

I do not know about OMFINS as I have never used it.
It is not really necessary to go for type 3 words - type 1 is OK - you just cannot access some things but you can access DM and CIO - that should be enough to get it going.
I would just use the serial driver but you will need RS422 I believe - that is what I have used for Host Link in the past.
Did a couple of jobs years ago with RS422 - 7 PLCs on one job and 8 on the other - it is slow.
Since changed one of them to Sysmac Link (board) and the to a mixture of Ethernet and RS422 - it was also slow and slowed the Ethernet down too - waiting for serial response.
For both of these you need Sysmac Gateway but for just RS422 you only need the serial driver.

HostLink can use plain old 232,and this config does work for series 1 (Omron) protocol, though yes it is painfully slooooow. Although I know I shouldn't, "I was just fiddlin'" since series 3 gets access to all 6k odd CIOs as well as work bits and task flags.

Just a late update, should have checked the knowledge base before posting.
Driver help suggests both serial and ethernet connection should use the same OMFINS3, however dosen't give any info using serial.

The board config will be COMx and the address field here is typically 0.

Using OMFINS3, the IO Device address field normally requires a format of w/n/u/V (for CV mode) or w/n/u/S (for CS1 mode) where

w is the FINS network address
n is the FINS node number
u is the FINS PC Bus unit number

When using direct connection by serial communication, you can set the IO Device Address field to be 0/0/0/S.

The setting has been tested with OMRON CJ1M PLC with OMFINS3 protocol[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

Thanks to Dennis from Tanzania