slc5/05 msg instruction

RY_Guthrie

I am setting up a msg instruction communicating with a compact logix processor from a slc5/05 over ethernet. my problem is under target device the compact logix isnt listed, is it seen as a 500cpu or what?šŸ™ƒ

The problem is that the SLC and the Compact Logix are of course different eras of PLC, you won't have a 5000 processor under target devices.
Instead, to setup this kind of messenging, you fool the SLC into thinking its talking to another 500 processor. First you set the SLC up as if it was talking to an SLC or Micrologix etc;
so 500cpu, read/write, N7:x, etc.

Then in the compact logix, which does not naturally have N stores of course, you will need to basically tie some N stores to tags within the 5000 processor. To do this open up logix 5000, go to "logic" (top of the screen) and select "Map PLC/SLC Messages" here you type in the N stores you are asking the SLC to read (on the left hand side) and then which tags they refer to on the right hand side. I'd advise mapping the data you want to message, from the compact, into array stores so that you have an array store of all your ints to be sent, and then another for all the bools you want etc. Hope this helps :)