OPC Server/Clients

james2255

Hi all,
I'm kind of stuck on a project I'm working on and I was hoping someone could help. I'm writing a .NET application to be used as an HMI. The HMI application must be able to read/write information to/from the PLC (Omron CJ2M). I am currently using a kepserver to read an write on a single computer.
If I have 10 PCs running my HMI application on different user accounts, how can I have them all accessing the kepserver?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

the server allows multiple client connection both remotely and locally. Each client connection is a unique interface/thread to the server. Each OPC Group create in each client is unique as well.

You big challenge will be in configure DCOM on all the PC's so that the clients can successfully connect to the server.

If you contact Kepware Technical Support they will be able to help you with that.

Thanks for the reply. I've been in contact with the tech support from kepware but they keep refering me to the documentation which I have followed and it does work, but it also makes me ask more questions.
The computers I am using are on two seperate networks (one for the company's intranet, and the other dedicated for kepserver communications). I'd like it to follow this structure so that the company's network isn't overloaded with communication as well as not limiting the response time of the kepserver with company network traffic.
When I set up the DCOM credentials, they belong to the company's domain. Won't this cause the kepserver traffic to be routed through the company's network and not the dedicated network? How can I set things up so that the traffic is on its own network.

Sorry for all the questions, haven't worked with OPC servers before.

DCOM is specific to each PC. You cannot connect form one Domain to another. You can have multiple networks in a domain and can do OPC Connections between those networks. Usually what we see in cases like this is the PC that is running the server will have 2 NIC cards. One card is connected to the device network and one is used to provide connections to the clients on a separate network. You can also accomplish the same thing if you have a smart switch/router and set up virtual networks. You can have static IP's that are used on the different networks.

The OPC packet is small and has less impact on the network bandwidth then reading e-mails and printing does.

Hope this helps.

If all 10 PC's and the PC running the server all have 2 NIC cards so that there are two paths to each computer. One of the NIC is using static IPs. Is there anyway to force the traffic on the one NIC card? Or will this just work itself out?

The reason I'm really trying to force this is because our IT department over reacts when something is added to their network.

Thanks for the help!