Factory Talk ME help

renu

Im new to Factory Talk ME and what im trying to do is Display information from 5 different RTU's in the field, by simply clicking on a RTU displayed. Im connected VIA ethernet and have 5 different IP's. I have all my tags done via kepserver and dont wanna retag 5 devices on channel 1 to conserve memory, so trying to do this all on display using maybe a Macro or parameter. Anyone know how?o_O

Suppose I should add, that what I want is when I click on RTU #1 it will display data from that rtu at assigned IP on the scadapack. So when I click RTU #2 it displays the info from another RTU from assigned ip address. Or something of that nature.

Thanks

Last edited:
Renu,

The best thing to do is use parameters.

If you take a look at the help file you should get the idea.

Either that or post a little more what information you want to show, and post the FactoryTalk file and I will give you a little head start :)

Mark

Here is a copy of what it is. I been playing with it, and tried to get it to work using a String input enable in upper left on RTU 1 display. I have 5 RTUS to connect to, and I want to be able to Change between them using a different IP address "device ID" for each one to display information on the RTU. As said, this is my first shot at Factory Talk today.

Example would be RTU = 192.168.1.1 RTU 2 would be 192.168.1.2 and so on for 5 total RTU's. I have it where I can change via the IP alone, but in field I wanna be able to select a Go To Button or such named RTU1 or RTU2 etc

Last edited:
An aside about FactoryTalk projects; the most effective way to post one or move it between computers is to create an Archive (*.APA) file using the Application Manager.

Even though copying the project folder delivers most of the necessary files, they aren't easy to integrate with the FactoryTalk Local Directory without performing a Project Import. It's possible, but not as clean as using *.APA.

Mark has the right idea; Parameter Files and Placeholders are the native and correct way to approach this application.

To my knowledge there is no way to perform runtime re-direction of an RSLinx Enterprise Shortcut or a Kepserver OPC Topic to a different IP address.

Since you're new with FactoryTalk, I'll give a little quick explanation of Placeholders.

You're going to create a single RTU screen, which you're going to launch with one of the different Go To Display buttons. You'll see on the Go To Display button the selection for "Parameter File".

The objects in your Display have Tag definitions like this:

{Channel2.Device1.Group2.TubingValue}

You're going to replace that Tag definition with one like this:

{Channel2.#1.Group2.TubingValue}

The "cross-hatch" or "pound sign" is special; it designates a Placeholder.

You're going to designate a Parameter File when you want to launch the RTU window pointing to Device1, and it's going to have a very simple Placeholder definition:

#1=Device1

You'll have another Parameter File that defines

#1=Device2

and that Parameter File is used by the second Go To Display button, to open the RTU window with all the tags pointing to Device 2.

My experience using these has been entirely in navigating the Folder structure in FactoryTalk View, rather than navigating the OPC Topic definitions in KepServer. It *ought* to work correctly.

This application is almost literally a textbook example of the reason that Placeholders exist in FactoryTalk View.

So with the #1 = device one, would i need too add to kepserver 5 devices under channel 1 and put a new Parameter as such #1 Device 1, #2 device 2, #3 for Device 3, etc? And just add the #"number" in the tag as described, correct? Would this take up more memory in the panelview?

Renu,

I am back in the office tomorrow morning and I have a few hours to spare so I will show you an example of what I think you want and more importantly how it works.

As Ken has said if you go to the application manager tab you need to archive the project and post that.

Once you get a hold of it placeholders and parameter files are a lot easier than the help files make you believe.

Mark

Last edited:
Yes, you will need to have 5 "Devices" in KepServer, each with the defined Tags you want.

This takes up marginally more memory in the PanelView terminal because the Kepserver tag database is larger, but I doubt that will be a problem with the relatively small number of tags you have on a window.

Renu,

Its late here now but I can open the .apa file, so I will have a go at it tomorrow morning and give you some examples of how to use parameters.

Just out of interest are the RTU's connected to a PLC or are they directly connected to the HMI?

If they are connected to a PLC the PLC code would help too.

Mark

Renu,

I have attached a picture of what i think you are trying to achieve.

I have also included the project you sent me with a few of the tags done for you, but I have only got V6 here and when I opened your project I had to convert it from V5 so hopefully you will be able to open what I have done.

The top picture shows the tag you have in place - Channel2.Device1.Group2.FlowLineScaledValue

The picture below shows what I have replaced that tag with - #2FlowLineScaledValue

The next picture shows the parameter file I have created. You can see that I have got #2=Channel2.Device1.Group2.

The final picture shows the GoTo display and where you call the parameter file you have created.

This means that when you open the screen FactoryTalk will call the parameter file and in this instance, wherever #2 is will be replaced with Channel2.Device1.Group2.

So if you create another parameter file RTU2 then you may have #2=Channel2.Device2.Group2. so when you use a GoTo button you put RTU2 in the parameter file to call, and wherever #2 is in the tag/expression box it will be replaced with Channel2.Device2.Group2.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions just ask.

Mark

RTU.png

Attachments

• ConocoParameter.zip
    352.7 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for the help guys! (y) I also found another way to do it, Ill attach a picture. I just used a simple Macro to change the RTU IP. Seems to work great without having to change up any devices in kepserver, and saved me a few Displays on FT. Thanks again

2012-07-10_1132.jpg