The Old GE VB.NET communications (over AdvancedHMI)

Mastercontrol

I am trying to get my vb program talking to my 90-30. No luck. I have downloaded "demo" active x controls and it works but for the life of me I can't get anything on advancedhmi, Any one out there who can give me a hand?

Checked port setttings on both PLC and computer. On the computer side both the port settings in device manager and VB.

I am using a usb-serial adpater however because the demo software works over that same usb-serial, and I program over that cable (to all GE serial com). I would "assume" this isn't the problem. Maybe a limitation in advancedhmi communication driver?

Anyone?

Thanks,

CPU Node Id doesn't exist??? SNP ID? That is set to nothing or blank. I have tried to set it to 1 but no change
What's in a name, yell "Dick" and Richard replies.
I do not know about your specific unit but many of the non-GE HMI's that I have worked with needed to use an SNP ID.

Another thing to verify is that both ends are using "SNP" not that one end is SNP but the other SNPx.

If we knew which CPU you have and which port on it you are using someone may have better information for you. It sounds like you are using an RS-232 to RS-485 converter as this is what is normally used to program the PLC. Does the HMI have an RS-232 same as a PC or does it need a null modem cable?

I should clarify. I wrote a program in visual basic .net to interface between my plc and the visual basic program (where ever that is running from could be my laptop could be any computer, might be a touchscreen doesn't matter just has to run the program). The program I wrote is fairly simple as I want to make sure it works first.

I am using the 331 CPU but it is only a cpu no communications. Communications are done on the power supply. Typical (to me) setup for an older style PLC. There is one rs485 port on the powersupply which is what I am using. I should double check the snp/snpx idea though because I am not 100% sure on that.

The current setup is USB to rs232, rs232 to rs485. Kind of clunky I know.

I am thinking of doing all the programming on the visual basic side and basically have nothing for ladder logic.

Are you using one of the available SNP/SNPx drivers available or rolling your own?
If doing your own where are you getting driver information from?
If you purchased a third party driver they will be able to help with this.