EducationOpinions

Timeismoney08

I have been looking into George brown college at the plc technician certification. I also noticed they have have electro-mechanical technician.
I'm stuck between the two.
I already have some motor controls classes under my belt from the local tech school around here but continuing that is not an option right now due to my work schedule and my wife being due any day.
I know electricity (480 and below), can draw diagrams, and have practiced a lot on the logix pro simulation software.
what would be a better option and look better. I think the PLC tech is not as broad as electro-mechanical tech, and electro-mechanical tech would build a better foundation. but I really want to get good at Programming and troubleshooting.

Whats you guys opinion on what would help me more?
and what would look better on my resume?

We've hired techs from Electro-Mechanical programs and it seems they are VERY LIGHT in the PC/PLC department. Personnally I'd like to see more techs. with a better understanding of current technology including PLC programming fundimentals (i.e. good background that can be applied to any platform). But also with background in PC's, common networks (i.e EthernetIP). A big bonus would be some servo, stepper and AC drive control.

I don't know what your employment market is like but it seems to me from looking at 'want ads,' people with good automation backgrounds are always in demand.

Also, keep in mind, once whatever program you choose is finished, the learning is just beginning. Current and future success is totally up to you staying abreast of current and new technology. Don't rely on your employer.

I am a maintenance tech for a plastic bottle company, they currently have me as automation tech position so i can program the robots we have. but i spend alot of my time troubleshooting machine issues. The only plc guy we have is our maint manager and he usually doesn't have time. and no one else cares to learn.
I've done some work with stepper motors on labelers, and the ac drives, most commonly power flex, i understand how to use them,
I've also worked on new machinery with a lot of servo motors, but cant find anyone to show me on how to program them, wire them, or anything. seams no ones knows and will just call in the manufacture who made it.
i have noticed European companys seem to use pc based equipment alot, i dont know how to go about learning those.

I agree with WildeKurt. you are more well rounded if you can do both areas.

i love electrical things and so i work with automation. i worked for several oem's and got a lot of mechanical experience. i also learned pneumatics / hydraulics.

the area that is hurting me right now is logix 5000, robot programming, and batching.

pick the one you love and go with it. gradually get into the other areas and learn what you can.

in todays market place, an electrical or mechanical guy can be replaced, but; an electrical guy with a good mechanical apptitude is a different story. the same can be said about a mechanical gut with electrical knowledge.

regards,
james

I have been looking into George brown college at the plc technician certification. I also noticed they have have electro-mechanical technician.
I'm stuck between the two.
I already have some motor controls classes under my belt from the local tech school around here but continuing that is not an option right now due to my work schedule and my wife being due any day.
I know electricity (480 and below), can draw diagrams, and have practiced a lot on the logix pro simulation software.
what would be a better option and look better. I think the PLC tech is not as broad as electro-mechanical tech, and electro-mechanical tech would build a better foundation. but I really want to get good at Programming and troubleshooting.

Whats you guys opinion on what would help me more?
and what would look better on my resume?

I know people who've done both programs and they are both good programs but neither will make you a skilled technician on graduation day or teach you how to setup your specific equipment. Like was said earlier they just set the foundation for learning, the real skill come with experience on the job.

In my opinion the Electro-Mech is a better program for someone trying to get started as understanding what you are controlling is the beginnings of making a good programmer. Anybody can crank out spaghetti code, but writing clean concise functional code is a whole different matter. A good programmer is really determined by their thought process not memorizing an instruction set.

IMHO you will learn more by figuring it out yourself than you would at any school. My bet is that most of the "Experts" on this site gained most of their knowledge from making mistakes and just trying different things out. With the internet today, just about anything you want to know can be found online, including manuals, wiring diagrams, etc.. for industrial equipment. Don't be afraid to try experimenting on a down piece of machinery, just make sure you backup what is working before you make changes. If a machine is broke down and you try something and fail, you are no worse off than when you started.

If you do want some good PLC training check out one of the Forum experts classes.

http://www.ronbeaufort.com/

Good Luck

I just graduated college in May from an Automated Packaging program. I was able to speak with potential employers, as were my instructors, about what skills the ideal canidate for employment held.

The main thing that I was told specifically was communication. But the others that are more related are that there are mechanical engineers and there are electrical engineers, but what is needed and desired is someone who could do both. It sounds like you already have the mechanical background, maybe you should hit up the PLC programming. Then again, I bet there are a couple PLC programs required for the electo-mech degree, and you could always seek out more as electives or look online. There are a lot of teach-yourself options if you are willing.

Another thing to possibly keep in mind is that with the PLC tech program, you will learn about PLCs. With the Electro-Mech program, I imagine you learn all about electricity and industry applications. Look over the class curriculum and choose the one that you think sounds more appealing.

...is not an option right now due to my work schedule and my wife being due any day

Congrats :)

Schooling is nothing without on the job experience.
However, i have found it tough to find someone willing to give me the experience. I have seen numerous job openings, all looking for experienced people only. so i wait for my chance.
I have looked at the PLC Tech course at GBC. havent taken it yet. right now i am just learning what i can on the computer. and also i am Dual ticketting in INtrumentation, to make me more wellrounded (im a journemyan electrician).

In this case, since your employer needsyou to do it, i would take the PLC tech course first, especially if you can get them to split the costs with you.

You can do both from what I can understand. It is roughly only eight more courses to get PLC degree if you get the EM first. Not a huge investment time or money. I am considering this actually.

Back
Top Bottom