4-20ma Out from One Card as input to another.... Ok to Do?

skyfox

Lifetime Supporting Member
Wondering if it is OK to send a 4-20mA output from one card (1756-OF4) and use it as an 4-20 mA Input in to an 1756-IF8 analog input card on the same rack. This is a Controllogix and only doing it for testing/Simulation purposes.

Is it OK to Do so?

Thx.

Should be fine. To be safe, look at the isolation specifications and withstand voltages, and make sure that your "hot" signal from the output measured (volts) against the input common is within the safe margin before hooking it up. In the same rack, I doubt there could be any problem.

If neither signal is isolated then there may be problems. I am not intimate with those modules, but I suspect the input module has strong isolation.

Last edited:
Even if either I/O point doesn't have a high level of isolation, there shouldn't be a problem. Both the AO and AI would reference the same ground, being from the same 'box'.

Go for it.