Start Up Verification of devices

Darkzadow

Hey, I am writing a routine the operators can run before startup that will command all devices that have feedback to run through various command setpoints to verify that they operate, and having the operators verify the ones that do not have feedback. Right now it is mostly drive feedback and a sensor verification routine. I plan on adding additional verification to water flow, positioning, and estop routines as I get sensors to verify operations. I was curious if anyone else does this and what kinds of things you try to test for?

I am running a Quench and Temper Heat treatment line so it is mainly furnace verification(already in place for purging), drive movement, and water control I am verifying, but am curious on what others verify on their equipment.

I have a couple of devices that have a home position. so a run through a full cycle back to home would help weed out problems. Operators are supposed to make sure that equipment runs before starts up but they only turn devices on. I suppose a safety procedure should be written for this to make sure no one is on or around equipment due to sudden motion.

It seems like a great idea to have a Pre-Start Routine, although I have never done it. Most old programs have alarms that only pop up after the problem occurs. In some processes, it would be smart to determine if a particular machine is not going to run, before you get everthing else loaded, ****ed, and running.

However in many cases where machines are working on objects, or processing liquids or solids, you can't completely test the machine without the material, and you can't get the material until the real Start-Up.

Last edited:
yes lancie,some things you cant test before start up, but it would be nice to know that the things u can test, are ready to go.