Where are all the replacements?

Bitmore

Automation Alley, Oakland County, Michigan
I am just floored when I hear of a need for a body or two, someone with some process experience,,, HMMMM. Guess nobody want's to do my JOB! I know for a fact! RIGHT NOW! There is such a need for controls gurus for the field stuff, and Engineers!
Where are you guys?

I started my apprenticeship in 1981 along with approximately 100 others in an railway works that employed more than 3000 men. The following year only 30 apprentices started and the year after... none. There hasn't been enough investment in training for the last 30 years so people that have the kind of experience your looking for are mostly 50 or more years old.

Graduates with no experience are in abundance but good engineers with experience are, like their hairlines, spread thinly.

Nick

I am just floored when I hear of a need for a body or two, someone with some process experience,,, HMMMM. Guess nobody want's to do my JOB! I know for a fact! RIGHT NOW! There is such a need for controls gurus for the field stuff, and Engineers!
Where are you guys?
The smart ones avoid your part of the world. :unsure:

I'm in Charlotte, NC. I was a Senior Field Service Engineer making $75k, until the company was sold. The new management offered me $18.00/hr. There is no shortage of skilled workers, only a shortage of skilled workers willing to work for the pay offered.

There hasn't been enough investment in training for the last 30 years so people that have the kind of experience your looking for are mostly 50 or more years old.

Graduates with no experience are in abundance but good engineers with experience are, like their hairlines, spread thinly.

Nick

Thanks Nick (I think) HEY! I resemble that remark!

OK so where in the STATE of MICHIGAN are you!

I see what you did there "Nationwide is on your side guy!"

So you resemble Krusty? I certainly resemble Ned!!

I have to agree with Manglemender. Since age 25, Everywhere I have worked I have been around the average age of my peers. Now I am pushing 50 - it's still true.

But companies need not worry, that nice Mr Cameron keeps pushing back the retirement age , just so i don't get bored at home!

Well Markie,

Never mind that young upstart Cameron, I don't think I could afford to retire before I'm at least 80. My current pension forecast from my previous employer is about £1000 a year. For 20 years service!

Nick

I'm in Charlotte, NC. I was a Senior Field Service Engineer making $75k, until the company was sold. The new management offered me $18.00/hr. There is no shortage of skilled workers, only a shortage of skilled workers willing to work for the pay offered.

And this is a result of the people that are doing the hiring usually are not qualified to assess the talent they are hiring. Instead all the emphasis is placed on your how "degreed" you are and how young you are.

Back in the day, the people that ran the companies were usually the same ones that built and made the companies. They made smarter decisions. Over the past several decades we have replaced all those people with business majors straight out of college that haven't a clue about the product or service their company is about. They make decision based purely on numbers and charts they read on their computers.

And it is only going to get worse.

I can say the only way I got into Process Control is that I got hired to do the Java web reporting. In college I took computer science and programming. When I arrived they had already filled it internally due to multiple HR people working on filling same position. They asked me if I had some EE classes (I took minimal in college) and would be comfortable working with equipment. I said sure(needed a job) and due to quickly making friends with the instrumentation techs I am doing ok in my job. So yeah Process Control is not widely advertised where I went to college so less people are looking to get into the field.

So I am one of those no experience grads everyone hates. :)

At one time I worked at an aluminum die-casting plant integrating GMF S-420-F robots. I was asked to review an applicants resume. He had no relevant education or experience for the job. When I asked why they would hire him, the answer was "You don't know how cheaply he will work". At one time they were going to hire a high school kid (he had a Commodore 64 computer, and so was obviously qualified) to look after all the robot and plc programming. Of course I am biased because I am not a 'business management professional'.

I agree with GlennA.

i have been looking for a job since february because the plant is moving to iowa. everything i find has 4 to 6 jobs for that position and the company wants to $15 dollars and hour for a $40+ dollar an hour job. I was considering your area, but found a good job in middle tn.

regards,
james

When I asked why they would hire him, the answer was "You don't know how cheaply he will work".
Gird your loins and fast-forward 20 years. What will work even cheaper? Repair Robots will replace a bunch of us. Start looking into becoming a robot repairman.