ET200S and IM308C

PLucas

Before I go into the fine details of the problem I am faced with, I would like to know if any one has done this before.

Here is a bit of the background information

What I am trying to do is add an ET200S (IM151) onto an existing profibus DP network. The existing master is an IM308C with a S5-115U/CPU945 host.

The part number of the ET200S is 6ES7 151-1AA02-0AB0, I have the correct GSD file present and ComProfibus 5.1 has the ET200S listed in the library.

I have configured a small network as a test on my spare 115U, the test network consists of a ET200U and the ET200S. I have configured both drops and then downloaded the configuration to the IM308C, the ET200U picks straight up and is quite happy with the configuration, but the ET200S BF LED flashes and the SF LED is solid on the ET200S power module, I am aware that this means that the ET200S has not been paramatised, but regardless of what I try I cannot get it to work.

The dip switch settings for the node number are correct (17), I have upgraded the IM308C firmware from version 3.2 to 3.5 (not sure if that is the latest), I have imported the GSD file for the ET200S from Step 7 5.2, so hopefully that is the latest version of the GSD file. I have banged my head against a book 3 times and spun round five times before powering it all up, everything to no evail. I am rapidly loosing my hair, I have had our Siemens rep on the case and he cannot come up with anything new for me to try, (everything he suggested I had already done!), I believe he has got the 'springheads' in Germany on the case, but I can't really wait for long, I need to put this project to bed.

In case anyone is wondering, I used an ET200S on the advice of the Siemens rep, I wanted to use an ET200U, but because of the 'space' factor, I was persuaded to use the ET200S on the remit that it WILL work!

So any suggestions are welcome, if you want more details on the configuration I am using, then just ask and you shall be given. I am desperate, this has been bugging me for 3 days now.

Here's hoping

Paul

I am not surprised that no on has replied to my query, I don't think that this is an everyday occurance :rolleyes:

I will update this post as and when I solve the problem, because you never know when someone else might have to do this.

This morning I received an email from the 'springheads' in Germany, they have informed me that I need to use ComProfibus V5.1.2.2 and I am using ComProfibus V5.1.1. They have given me a link where I can download the neccesary updates, which I intend to do and then try the configuration again. The reason given for the required upgrade is because of the size of the GSD file for the ET200S (118K), apparently the version I am using can only transfer up to 60K files to the IM308C, so only half of the GSD is getting through!

I will post how I got on and the links later on today, providing all goes well.

Paul

Update for those who are interested, even for those who are not!

I now have my ET200S installed on the profibus network and WORKING! (y)

This is the first time I have relly had to go to Siemens support for answers (I usually come here and get the info I need) and I have got to say that they certainly came up trumps! I will never again mumble curses under my breath about Siemens products or their support.

If anybody else requires the SP2 download or the hotfix 1 download for Com Profibus V5.1 then go to The Siemens Support Web Site and type in 7256370 in the search box for the SP2.exe file and 9868040 for the hotfix1.exe.

Originally posted by ME!
ComProfibus V5.1.2.2

I made a typo in my previous post, that should have read ComProfibus V5.1.2.1

Paul

Problem IM151-1 High feature

Hello,
I hotfixed and updated ComProfibus (5.1.2.3), but still I can't get the BF away! The GSD file is 135k big, maybe its again to big for Siemens? Earlier they solved the problem at 64k (hotfix 1) but above 128k might be again a problem?
Does somewhone have an old or smaller GSD for the high feature IM151-1?
Thanks

Profibus newbee!

Paul, congrats! I am proud of your efforts and it just goes to show how much you can achieve when you try. Now, for the newbee part. I have never Profi'ed a bus in my life so what does it mean when you say
What I am trying to do is add an ET200S (IM151) onto an existing profibus DP network. The existing master is an IM308C with a S5-115U/CPU945 host.
What is an ET200S and an IM308C? Do they do something in the way of controls or are they HMIs? I have never had the opportunity to do any work with Profibus so this would be a good time to learn a little.

Again, good go, mate! (y) beerchug

Thanks for the praise Randy, but I did what everyone else here would have done, got a bit of help from the experts! In this case it was Siemens not the guys (and gals) who frequent this forum.

This thread is from a year ago (well, nearly a year) and it did surprise me to see that it has been resurected.

An ET200S is a remote I/O rack that is put on a profibus network, they are made initially for the S7 not the S5, but as you can see from my post they do work on an S5 system. To be honest they are a waste of space on the S5, as most of the cards that fit on the ET200S are four DI or four DO, not eight DI/O and each card uses one byte, so you waste 4 I/O bits for every card fitted. This is not the case on an S7 system. The IM151 mentioned with the ET200S is the bus interface card used.

The IM308C is the profibus interface card fitted in the S5 PLC rack, need I say more?

Now, to Rommelaar's question,

I checked this morning on the name and size of the GSD file that I used in my configuration, the file name is SIEM806A.GSE and it seems that I had the file size wrong in my original post, it is in fact 133K not 118K as I originally stated.

I am now going to ask the obvious,

1. Do the dip switch settings on the 151 match the address set in the configuration in Com PB?

2. Are the 'cards' fitted correct in the configuration?

3. Is the end termination 'card' fitted on the ET200S?

Perhaps, you could post the catalogue numbers of the components fitted in the 'rack' and also the name of the GSD file that you are using.

SIEM806A is for 6ES7 151-1AA02-0AB0, 151-1AA01-0AB0 and 151-1AA00-0AB0.

Paul

Hallo Paul,
Thanks for your attention, now the questions:
- The dipswitches are checked and OK
- The terminator module is placed
- It is a IM151-1 HF (High Feature) 6ES7-151-1BA00-0AB0
This is copied from the header of the GSD file:
;=================================================================
; GSD-File for ET 200S HighFeature (Cu) Siemens AG
; MLFB : 6ES7 151-1BA00-0AB0
;
; Date : 01.10.02 V01.01.00 Anha/MaSi/ClKa/GW/CAJ
;
; File : "SI0180E0.GSE"
;=================================================================
#Profibus_DP
The other obvious thing Siemens also always asks:
- are you using Win98/Win2000 because ComProfibus is not secure on WinXP; Yes, started on Win2000 and meanwhile we tried from Win95/98/200/XP, but no differences where found (except installing on Win95 was taking time ...). The updates and hotfixes are also installed: ComProfibus is now at v5.1.2.3.

For the test, I placed only these submodules:
- 6ES7 138-4CA00-0AA0 (PM-E DC24V)
- 6ES7 132-4BB00-0AA0 (2DO DC24V/0.5A)
When I configure the same hardware in a S7-project with a S7-400 and a move the profibus connector from the 308C to a IM467 at the 400, then everything is working fine. I also changed the IM308c for another one, because we thought of a damaged port, but no result.
Now we are thinking about the memory size of the flash memory in the 308C (standard delivery 256kByte comes with the card). When the whole GSD size (133k) and the operating system are placed on the card, maybe its to much? As a temporary solution we configured the 308C as a DP-slave for the S7-400 and that is also working fine.
The people from Siemens continue the same story: 'We will send the information to Germany and you will here from us'.
When anyone has a suggestion, please post!

Rommelaar

I have just searched all the GSD file I have for the part number you posted, I came up with the file name SIR380E0, this is for the ET200S high feature, it is an earlier version than the one you are using (V0.92) and it is only 105Kb in size.

If you want to try this file out, I will send it to you.

Paul

Hi Paul,
Thanks again, I tried the file, but ... same performance.
This I what I did:
- copy the file to C:\SIEMENS\CPBV51\gsd
- started ComProfibus v5.1
- Read in GSD Files
- expand DP slave, I/O, ET200S and there the module showed up
- drag the module to the right
- dubbel click: edit slave properties
- the mentioned GSD is shown in the greyed field Device Master file
- set profibus address to 10 (according to dipswitches)
- clicked on configure:
- 1st module PME
- 2nd module 2DO address P000
- back to DP Master
- drag master IM308c S5/135U CPU928 to the right
- edit profibus address to 1
- export file to memory card (256kB 5V Flash)
-> succesfull written
- File \ new
- Import Memory card
- only the IM308C is shown, the IM151-1HF has gone!
This happened also with the original version. When I insert a standard IM151 (gsd 806A, 68kB) next to the HF, and repeat the procedure, this module comes back with the import as expected (with standard IM151, without HF module).
I'm running out of time and we decided to use the 308c as a dpslave for a new to use 315-2dp (master), which is working in a glimps. It's a bit more expensive, but the hours invested now are also not neglectable and we have to deliver.
(Siemens reported back, that they would like to come to my place to solve the problem ......)

Our conclusion: don't try this thing on a 308c although Siemens says it will work.
Thanks sofar, maybe somebody will solve the problem in the future.

(Siemens reported back, that they would like to come to my
place to solve the problem ......)

I've watched Siemens anounce new systems and promise the world with them, for more than 20 years. When V1 appears it will have maybe 50% of the promised functionality and over the next 2 - 5 years it will gradually improve to, perhaps, 90% (I've never seen 100% yet).

On the other hand, if you do run into a major problem though and can convince Siemens that it's serious, they'll throw a hundred engineers at it and do everything necessary, including coming to site, to solve the problem. They usually succeed too.

Of course it helps if your name is Bayer, or similar. I saw this circus twice, once in the mid-80's (with Teleperm M, I believe) and again four or five years ago with V4 Step7.

FYI,
Siemens now came up with the message that maybe hotfix 3 from ComProfibus NOT must be installed! To get there you need to Un-install ComProfibus fully, reboot en install again until v5.1.2.2.

For the IM308C users:
This card seems to work only correctly with DPV0 slaves and not with DPV1 slaves (which is the ET200-IM151HF), but they were not 100% about this.
By the way: does anyone know the difference between DPV0 or DPV1 slaves?

et200s serial interface card with im308c

Hi,
Just wondering if anybody has used a et200s serial interface card with a im308c profi master or simatic ti profi master.
Thanks,
Will

Will

I haven't used a serial interface card with an IM308C, but if you have the correct GSD files, there shouldn't be a problem. :confused:

The serial interface cards I use with our IM308C's are from Bechhoff.

Post the part number of the serial interface card you are looking to use, I might have one at work, that I can try out and post the results. We do have some serial cards that we use on our S7 systems, but, off the top of me 'ead I couldn't recall the part number.

Paul

Need Com profibus V5.1

I had the same problem as mentioned above. I used CPU928b and IM308C as profibus DP master station and S7 313c-2DP as slave.
I used Com profibus V3.3, when i download the configuration, the Im308C can recongnized the slave, at the salve side, the SF led solid on and BF led flashed. I try all solutions and cannot sloved the problem. In siemens website, I saw one sample with Im308C and S7 315-2DP, so I thought maybe I need com profibus V5.1, but i only have v3.3, I call my friends around me but they don't have it. can anyone send me the software by email? [email protected] thanks in advace