CompactLogix Firmware Flash

Tim Ganz

I have a compactlogix 1769-L23E-QBFC1 that had a code 60 major error non recoverable fault and rockwell says because this unit does not have compact flash that it would be hard to determine the root cause.

Why do these controllers not hold the specific fault like a slc or plc 5? Those plc's don't have compact flash but they keep error codes so what gives?

The tech at rockwell said we may want to flash the firmware as we have 17.4 and the latest is 20 and some things that can cause this have been fixed. Does that sound like the right approach?

Also if we flash up to 20 and there are problems can we flash back to 17.4? How involved is this and are there any special steps to flashing back if you can flash backwards?

You will only want to flash to the version that your software matches. If you dont have the latest RSLogix software revision you will not be able to program the unit. The software and hardware versions have to match.🔨

Yes

Short answer is yes. You are essentially overwriting the firmware each time you update. This means you can put whatever version you want to in...in theory. What I mean by that is that it should work but there are no guarantees when you are upgrading firmware.

You should update to version 19 since that is what version of software you have. If you update to version 20 you wont even be able to hook up to the PLC. It will stop you.

I concur. When forced to do a control flash session anyway, go with what your using for development, but stop at 19. Version 20 is still the bleeding edge, please stay away from sharp objects. ;)