Help with VFD....

RSLogix500 is used to program SLC and MicroLogix PLCs, not drives.

Asuming you want to use a PLC to control the forward and reverse operation of the motor:
1. Configure the drive to get its forward and reverse commands from the signals at the terminals instead of from the HIM.
2. Wire common terminal of a pair of contact outputs from your PLC to the input common on the drive.
3. Connect one of the contact outputs to the FWD terminal.
4. Connect the other contact output to the REV terminal.
5. Write ladder logic to turn on the contact outputs connected to the FWD and REV terminals at the appropriate times.

Thanks, Steve. I think you did a good job in explaining this apparently difficult concept that keeps reappearing!
Asuming you want to use a PLC to control the forward and reverse operation of the motor:
1. Configure the drive to get its forward and reverse commands from the signals at the terminals instead of from the HIM.
2. Wire common terminal of a pair of contact outputs from your PLC to the input common on the drive.
3. Connect one of the contact outputs to the FWD terminal.
4. Connect the other contact output to the REV terminal.
5. Write ladder logic to turn on the contact outputs connected to the FWD and REV terminals at the appropriate times.

Program your forward/reverse operations in your ladder and send 24VDC output to terminal 2 for forward and 3 for reverse on your PowerFlex4 drive.

Program your forward/reverse operations in your ladder and send 24VDC output to terminal 2 for forward and 3 for reverse on your PowerFlex4 drive.
Then the drive will do nothing. That only works if Steve's "Number 1" is done FIRST.

"Performing one-half of the required steps will be just as effective as doing none at all!" - Lancie1

Powerflex ONE OWNER.jpg

Last edited:
I wish most new users would ask themselves this simple question:

"I wonder how people did this before the days of PLCs?" If people would take the time to learn how a simple relay control circuit works.....

I wish most new users would ask themselves this simple question:

"I wonder how people did this before the days of PLCs?" If people would take the time to learn how a simple relay control circuit works.....

WOW!! This is incredibly simple, yet brilliant! Well said!