Help with tags from CompactLogix to PV+

Hugo_Cruz

Hi everyone, im working in a project but when I need to program the HMI I got some issue and for now i couldn't solve it. I hope you guys can help me.
In the FactoryTalk View I can't import (offline) or referencing directly (online) the tags of the processor. I've already create a device shortcut in the Comms Setup and its seems like FactoryTalk can't recognize it.
I´m working in Factory Talk View Studio ME 6.00 and the project has a PanelView Plus 400 Compact (2711PC-B4C20D), a CompactLogix L18ERM processor (1769-L18ERM-B1BB) and a Kinetix 6500.

An adittional data is in the Comms Setup both the PLC and the Kinetix servodrive are no complete recognized, there are shown with a question mark in yellow but the parameters an IPs are correct.

Please some help, I'm already stuck for a few days. Need to know if I need to configure something more or get a newer version of the software.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the bad spelling but english is not my mother language.

Hugo, Welcome to the forum and your spelling is just fine. We work with lot of people who are very difficult to understand. You are not one of those.

Can you post screenshots of both your Comms Setup and what you see when you look using RSLinx Classic? Between the two of these we might be able to see your problem.

Steve

Which version of FactoryTalk View Studio are you using ?

RSLinx Enterprise (embedded in FactoryTalk View Studio) uses a hard-coded device ID list, versus RSLinx Classic which uses EDS files that are easy to update and modify.

To use an older PanelView Plus (5.10 or earlier) with this CompactLogix, you need to follow the workaround instructions in RA Knowledgebase Article ID #476489.

Edit: I see that you are using PanelView Plus Compact 400, which means that the terminal itself can only support version 5.10 firmware. That Knowledgebase article suggests version 5.10.08 will support the new CompactLogix controllers, but that you need to "fake" the shortcut definition.

Last edited:
Hi Ken.
The version of the FactoryTalk View is te 6.00 (CPR 9 SR 3). And as you comment, a couple of days I upgrade the firmware version of the PV+ to 5.10.08 and install the EDS files for RSLinx Classic and I see no difference.

Also, you comment a way to "fake" the shorcut definition. Could you explain me some more about this method. At this moment I am without a properly Rockwell TechSupport to acces the acknowledge base.

Hello again guys!

I just try the solution described in the RA Knowledge Base (the same that Ken had mentioned) and it doesn't work at all, the other thing that I tried was install the latest patch (with date of july 2) for the FactoryTalk and doesn't fix anything.
I've spent the last 4 hours looking for some solution or some tip in the Knowledge Base and have not found anything useful but the two things that I already tested.

Someone has something else on mind? Or someone has better eye looking for solutions than me?

In your initial post, you said you can't get offline tags to work either. I just went and checked on my system and I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work so, if you want, lets focus on that for the moment.

In RSLinx Enterprise, click on the "Browse" button for the Offline file and select some other project than the one you already show and then click on the "Apply" button just above the shortcut name. Say yes to the popup you get after that. This will force FT View to update where sometime, in my experience, it might not otherwise.

Now that you have changed project (to what I assume is not the correct one) change it back again to the correct project. Once again, click on the "Apply" button to finish the update.

Now go back to your project and begin the process to assign a tag. At the point where the tag menu pops up, right-click on list in the left window and select "Update All".

See if this helps.

Steve

Good day Steve.
I just do the way you recommend me, and in fact when I click in the option "refresh folder" shows me the tags.
Then I made a very simple application with just a button and a numeric display to test if the comms are responding, and when I create the runtime application the validation results shows the following message "WARNING: Unconfigured shortcut detected. Shortcut name = "MAST_LAMA_01". Description: The system has detected that the noted shortcut has not been associated with a device on the Runtime (Target) tab. If the application makes use of this shortcut, then runtime errors will be detected and logged when the application attempts to use that shortcut".
Anyway, I load the application to the PV+ and inmediately displays a couple alarms involving the variables of the tags that I used for the button and the numeric display. The alarms tells me something like "[FactoryTalk]: The item is no longer available:[*here is the name of the variable*]".
I attached a screenshot of the Validation Results Message that I receive and a shot from the panel with the alarms.
It is looks to me like the PV+ doesn't know where have to point to read/write the tags.

I hope you can see if I am doing something wrong or help me to figure out how to get proper communication now I've already see the tags in the project.

Validation_MAST_PVP.jpg IMG_0827.jpg

Let me comment something more that I noticed. At first in the RSLinx Enterprise at the Ethernet header I clicked for "Start Browsing" instead add the devices manually. Now I tried to add the devices manually and I noticed that the CompactLogix processor (1769-L18ERM-B1BB) I'm using is not present in the Device List, neither the Kinetix servodrive (2094-EN02D-M01S1).
Attached is a screenshot showing the few CompactLogix processors on the list.

Can you tell me if this issue is the origin of the whole problem? And if it is the case, is there a way to fix or patch the software to recognize and allow the communication?

MAST_DeviceSelection.jpg

What revision of RSLinx Enterprise you have installed?
(Control Panel/Add or remove programs -in XP)

Also, what OS are you currently running?

+1 for what dmargineau says - what version of RSLinx Enterprise are you running?

I am running version 5.50.04 and when I attempt to add a new device, the 1769-L18ERM is in my list:

Devices.JPG

Well, the version of RSLinx Enterprise I got is the 5.30.00 (CPR 9 Service Release 3), and I'm using WinXP SP3 and also tried in Win7 64bits.

Do you know if there is an avalaible upgrade for RSLinx Enterprise in the RA site?

Hello again.
Let me tell you that I downloaded and upgraded to the latest version of RSLinx Enterprise (thanks to dmargineau) and now I am able to see the correct model of the processor in the Device List on the Comms Setup.
Also I can referencing directly the tags of the online processor.
The only issue is when create the runtime application, at the validation results still sends a warning message. It is something like this: "WARNING: Unsupported device detected. Shortcut name = "MAST_LAMA_01". Device name = "MAST_LAMA01". Description: The system has detected that a device type that was not supported in the requested version is referenced by a shortcut. If the system upon which this project is to be run has received a patch that adds support for this device type, then this situation will not cause any problems. Otherwise runtime errors will be detected and logged by the target system when it attempts to communicate to that device". This warning is still to the CompactLogix processor.
I loaded to the PV+ and at this moment it is still working very well.

And if is helpful for someone else, I managed to make work the solution proposed by Ken (described in RA Knowledge base ID 476489) for "faking" the shortcut by adding another processor model.
The thing here is doing the whole procedure being offline from network, then import the tags from ACD file (still offline) as Steve mentioned. It is important to stay offline all time until you are done your application and create the runtime file.
If you get online in the network in any time of the process, the RSLinx Enterprise will recognize the real processor and it will enter in conflict with the "fake" shortcut because the both are configured with the same IP.
And then you came at the point in that I started.

Thanks a lot for all of you guys, your help has been tremendous. And if something else happens, I immediately post it.