PCI I/O card (need advice)

Bitmaster

This is not a PLC question, but I know that a lot of smart and experienced people hang around here, so I thought I'd give it a try :)

I'm working on a project that requires the automation of a locomotive simulator system. The actual simulator requires about 50 digital inputs and 50 digital outputs. Since I'm very familiar with programming on the PC, I was thinking to use a PCI Digital I/O card to interface with the simulator (something like NI PCI 6509 http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/nioc.vp?lang=US&cid=12919) and implement all the simulation logic in software.
Does anyone have any experience with these cards they might want to share ? Any advice ? Am I on the right track ?

It is my opinion....

The stability requirements of your system should dictate as to weather or not to us a PLC or a PC. PLCs are designed for a variety of environments, and are above all very stable. In general the do not have mysterious "crashes".

Another parent at my daughters school wondered why in the world I would use a PLC vs. PC based system. I asked him if he would bet his life on Windows NT, or a PLC system.

If the operation of your project isnt critical, and infrequent crashes wont have an adverse effect, than a PC may offer far more flexability, for less $$$ than a PLC & HMI system, etc..

In regards to the NI I/O cards. I have used some ISA cards from NI years ago. They worked out rather well. I assume the cards in the link are updates with more I/O density.

Good Luck with it . MIke

Stability is not an issue. If it crashes, just reboot and restart the training sequence...The system simply simulates a locomotive ****pit with all the lights and switches and is used for training / psychological evaluation of train drivers.
I also expect that the PC solution to be much cheaper than a PLC based solution.

Ok so your better off with a PC in your case.

Now you have to interface the lights and buttons to the PC.

Some PLC manufactures make equipment that will allow you to use a PLC base for I/O to be controled by the PC. Automationdirect.com supplys a variaty of these type of PC based system products.

Best regards, Mike

Bitmaster said:
This is not a PLC question, but I know that a lot of smart and experienced people hang around here, so I thought I'd give it a try :)

I'm working on a project that requires the automation of a locomotive simulator system. The actual simulator requires about 50 digital inputs and 50 digital outputs. Since I'm very familiar with programming on the PC, I was thinking to use a PCI Digital I/O card to interface with the simulator (something like NI PCI 6509 http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/nioc.vp?lang=US&cid=12919) and implement all the simulation logic in software.
Does anyone have any experience with these cards they might want to share ? Any advice ? Am I on the right track ?

Sounds like a good plan to me, I would go with the digi I/O. Probably the cheapest solution.

BTW, what program are you going to use for the simulator? Or are you writing that yourself?

John