Uggggh Devicenet help with addressing

JodyM

I have Compactlogix racks with SDN scanner and my first network has 42 nodes all Eaton S811(w/D77D qcport to devicenet adapters) softstarts Eaton Motorinsight overloads and SVX9000 drives. So I am new to the plant just 5 months and the plant is only a year and a half in operation (frac sand) the integration company quit before startup and the controls were piece mielled together by about 7 differant programmers. OK there is the back story, my problem is that I do not understand the IO mapping between the scanner and D77D. I have a softstart that was commisioned then removed after a pump upgrade and was also removed from the scanlist. So I have found it in the network readded it to the scanlist auto mapped IO but I cannot figure out the which bit to write to start the thing. I am totally lost!!!

jody

Welcome to the Forum !

Hopefully you'll approach this cobbled-together system as a learning experience in the technologies and products as well as your own procedures for documentation.

I would start with this by performing a browse with RSNetworx for DeviceNet software, then a "Upload from Network" to get all the configuration parameters and the Scanlist into the *.DNT file.

ZIP that file and post it here.

I am not personally familiar with the S811 Soft Start or the QCPort/DeviceNet adapter, but I'm sure the Forum community can figure it out.

If you can point to a website where the Eaton EDS files are available, that will help too.

Ken
Thanks for your reply, and I loved Dilbert. Yes I am taking the opportunity to learn the technologies already in place that I do not have experience with (just banging my head against the wall on this one)As far as documentation It is a work in progress because we have none. I have attached my dnet file and hopefully someone can help. Even with a RA tech connect contract and all the help from Eaton I am beginning to think I cannot figure this out. Thanks again

Jody

Of course all but two of the nodes show up as "unregistered" on my PC because I don't have any of the Eaton EDS files.

So that we can focus; which Node Number is the Soft Start you're working on ?

An aside: This is a complex network. I am an expert with DeviceNet and this would take me quite a while to figure out completely and document correctly.

Thorough and updated RSNetworx projects are going to be important. Also familiarize yourself with the File -> Generate Report feature in RSNetworx, which creates HTML documents with parameter and configuration data in them. Really handy stuff to look at when you don't have time or access to RSNetworx.

Last edited:
Thanks !

When we open up the 1769-SDN Scanlist, Node 42 is on the left pane list of "Available Devices", rather than on the right pane list of devices in the Scanlist.

So you need to add Node 42 to the Scanlist with the [>] button. Once you have modified the Scanlist, you need to put the CompactLogix into PROG mode and Download the scanlist, which saves it to the nonvolatile memory of the 1769-SDN.

With a complex system like this, I wouldn't use "Automap on Add", because that's going to wedge your data into the first place it will fit. Uncheck that box.

When we look at the other D77D modules in this system (Node 38-46), I was surprised to find the Scanlist entries with 3 bytes Input and 3 bytes Output.

The EDS files for the D77D-DNA show 2 bytes Input and 2 bytes Output.

Before we can say "map this here, then go to the Output tags of the CompactLogix", we should figure out why the Scanlist entries have 3 bytes and the EDS indicates 2 bytes.

There are both writable and Read-Only parameters in the D77D. Can you highlight one of the D77D's that is working, perform a File -> Generate Report for that one device, and post the HTML file that results ?

I've read the D77D-DNA manual a little bit and it makes sense now that the D77D is a little "network gateway" that inserts 1 byte of data ahead of the QCPort device I/O data on both the Input and Output sides.

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@electrical/documents/content/mn05004002e.pdf

So, back to the 1769-SDN Scanlist for a step-by-step process:

1. Double-click on the 1769-SDN and select the Scanlist tab.
2. Highlight Node 42 on the Available Devices (left) pane.
3. Un-check the Automap on Add box.
4. Click the [>] button to add Node 42 to the scanlist.

5. Highlight Node 42 on the Scanlist (right) pane.
6. Click the "Edit I/O Parameters" button.
7. Change the Polled Input and Polled Output sizes from 2 to 3. Click OK and click Yes on the "Do you want to continue" warning.

8. Select the Input mapping tab. Node 42 should stay highlighted.
9. Enter the value 64 in the "Start DWord" field and click Automap.

10. Select the Output mapping tab. Node 42 should stay highlighted.
11. Enter the value 21 in the "Start DWord" field and click Automap.

12. Click Apply. If you were online when you did this, you will have to put the CompactLogix in Program Mode to download the scanlist. This will cause all the output data devices to go to their fault state.

You probably noticed that we put the Node 42 data onto DWords 64 (Input) and 21 (Output) to line up with the other Soft Starters in the system.

Now you're going to have to go into RSLogix 5000 and look for the Input and Output tags for the 1769-SDN.

Likely the tag that will run the Soft-State is Local:1:O.Data[21].0

You may want to look at the logic that runs the other soft-starts as well.

Ken,
YOU are the Man, I set the test bench up with two softstarts and have found if you DO NOT auto map and set it up just like you wrote it is simple. If you automap and I am looking for the words you have devices such as
local1.data[0].0 would start one device and
local1.data[0].4 would start another device.
I think they were just "Trial and Erroring this thing together" I got it

the mapping gets "scrambled" Thank you I will post my final results as soon as I finish Attached is current report

Thanks agin
Jody

AutoMap is a great time-saver when you have devices whose data sizes line up nicely with the memory map of the Scanner module (2, 4, or 8 bytes).

If you have connection data sizes quantities that are not powers of 2, or if you have a large mix of data sizes, it becomes bad game of Tetris in a hurry.

This is one of the reasons for the DeviceNet Tag Generator utility; the code that it generates automatically "singulates" all the data into a huge SINT array, then copies it out into custom-generated UDTs.

I'll say it again: DeviceNet is a lot like swimming. If you learn the basics and practice in the shallow end at first, you'll do fine. If you just jump in without looking, you're going to have a bad time.