Rslogix 500

Hi
I am having a bad time programming this slc500 with 1747-L551 cpu and
analog input slot 1746-NI16I
analog output slot 1746-NO8I
Somebody please tell me how to configure the analog input and analog output. i need to just monitor the values of 13 analog inputs (4-20milliamps) and give one output (4-20milliamps) to control a valve.
Please help me. i am new to Allen Bradley. i get nervous when i dont understand the manual. i hate this analog input card.

chitra

There isn't really anything to "configure" about an analog module on a SLC platform.
Within the RSLogix 500 Offline file Project Tree/Controller/ I/O Configuration place the catalog numbers into their dedicated "virtual" slots; place the physical modules into the physical rack within the slots decided in the previous step- SAVE; go Online with the CPU; switch to Program Mode; Download; switch to Run/Remote Run Mode.
Let's say you have placed the Analog Input module in slot x and the Analog Output in slot y.
Within the Data Files/I1-Input- I:x you will find the corresponding values of the currents drawn by the devices attached to the Analog Input module points.
Correspondingly, within Data Files/O0-Output- O:y you will have to place the values of the currents you wish to "push" through the devices connected to the Analog Output module's points.
Use the RSLogix 500 SCP instruction for intermediate scaling of the values.

T
here isn't really anything to "configure" about an analog module on a SLC platform.

Yes if the card is configured for class 1, but it can be configured for class 3 which has several configuration options.
The same for the output card ( 1746-NO8I)

This is the same question asked in your previous thread.

Answer some of the questions ask in that thread and we can give more help. ( engineering units, set-point, still PID control?)

Post your program it's .rsp file. ( zip it first) This will tell us the location of your cards.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=72769

Last edited:
Somebody please tell me how to configure the analog input and analog output. i need to just monitor the values of 13 analog inputs (4-20milliamps) and give one output (4-20milliamps) to control a valve.
For the control valve, we can ASSUME that its output is 0 to 100%, so it is possible to scale the analog output for that range.

However, for your 13 inputs, you need to know WHAT each one IS. Is it flow and if so, what is the minimum and maximum liters per second or liters per minute? If it is weight, what is the min and max kilograms? If it is temperature, what is the min and max degrees C? Without these values, you are just p i s s i n g against the wind, wasting our time and yours too.

T

Yes if the card is configured for class 1, but it can be configured for class 3 which has several configuration options.
The same for the output card ( 1746-NO8I)

scaling part i can do. that is almost same in all.
what i need to know is the configuration part.
my modules are
1747-L551 SLC cpu
1746-IB16
1746-OB16
1746-NI16I (CONFIGURED IN CLASS 3)
1746-NO8I
Pls tell me what should i do in class 3 configuration. i cannot understand this part.
regards
chitra

See pictures below, I used scaled for PID as this can be used for a PID control instruction.

Scaled for PID is

4ma = 0 raw data
20ma = 16383 raw data

inputconfig.jpg outputconfig.jpg

ThankYou Mr.Mickey
I read the manual for the 1746-NI16I abd from the application example i found there for class 3, i got confused. see attachment for the pgm. can you help me to understand this program.
manual: 1746-um001_-en-p

Thanks
chitra

The first rung clears the input data to the card and then moves it's configuration info on the first scan of the processor.

The rest of the rungs are checking for valid data ( no errors from card) before moving the input data to integers.

The example is written with very clear comments, - Chitra, which part is confusing to you.

1. First rung clears the input image table and load configuration for the analog modules 16 channels, which is stored in PLC registers N7:0 thru N7:15

2. Second rung read the status words continuously to see no error on each channel. Status words are configured in N7:46 thru N7:61. When no error on the channels, last 3 bits of each words is set, ie, bit 13, 14 & 15

3. Next 16 rungs reads each channel data if no error is identified on it by means of the 3 bits mentioned above.

Regards
_______

Can you help me to understand this program.
Yes, first get rid of all the functions in the Allen Bradley routine that you do not need. Then substitue a MOV for the COP so that you can set the Configuration Word directly, instead of copying it from N7:0. Then you are left with one rung with one MOV for each input channel, something like the attached picture. You will have to figure out your correct configuration word to make your analog input module channel do what you want it to do. The attached example is for an Input Thermocouple Module, but your NI16I module uses the same configuration method.

EDIT: For your NI16I module, the configuration word "-32688" (Binary value 1000000001010000, see page 5-3 of the module User Manual) gives you the following set-up:
1. This channel is enabled, (1)
2. 6 Hz filter, (000)
3. Normal Run mode (module not in calibration mode), (000
4. Scaled for PID, (001)
5. 1 to 5 vdc, or 4 to 20 mA inputs, (01)
6. Remaining bits not used for Class 3, (0000)

Or use the method that Mickey used.

Analog Module Configuration Word.jpg

Last edited:
I Need 1746-NO8I in karachi

rashid, you have posted this on the back of a 5 years old thread !

if you genuinely can't buy a module from a domestic or overseas distributor, you could always try eBay, there are sellers from Chine, Hong Kong, and USA offering factory-sealed new modules.

Whatever happened to Lacie? I'm beginning to feel old now every time I see an old thread.

Harryting, read this page http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=78143&page=6

I think we all miss the good ones... just to name a few

Terry Woods (MIA)
elevmike (MIA)
rsdoran (RIP)
TConnolly (very rarely anymore) ((AKA Alaric))
Lancie1 (MIA)

I know there are a few more that just... poof :geek:

Guess someday we all just get burnt out on answering the same questions over and over, I know talking to Terry Woods thats what did him in and then the others just find a new hobby to spend their time... for me I was thinking about taking up drinking :)