Allen Bradley SLC5/03 Online Monitoring?

Andy S

Hi Guys,

I've not used one of these PLCs for a while so am a little rusty, but a customer has one on an old machine that he needs help with.

I can get online and upload/download no problem through the DH485 port however there is an HMI that's usually connected to this port and the machine will not run without this being connected up.

I'm therefore wondering if it's possible to 'online monitor' this PLC whilst the machine is running, maybe via the CPUs spare RS232 port?

Thanks in advance!

If the DF1 port is available (the serial port on the processor) then yes you can use it to monitor, control and program the processor. Best way is to set it up as a DF1 Full Duplex port and set RSLinx up with the same thing. The connection will be just the same as if you were connected via the DH485 port.

Thank's Firejo.

I've got the PCMK card and appropriate 9 pin lead to connect to this port and although it's a male end I guess a male to male convertor should do the trick?

The PCMK card is not used to connect to a serial port.

All you need is a null-modem cable to connect to your PC's serial port.
If your PC does not have serial port then you need a USB to serial adapter and the null-modem cable.

How are the SLC and HMI connected? Direct connected or thru a AIC?

With the right hardware you can use your PCMK card to connect the DH485 network and see both the SLC and the HMI. But that could get costly if you don't already have the hardware.

Last edited:
Not sure on the PLC to HMI connection, but I think it's direct as I can't remember seeing any AIC in the panel.