G3 remote download

dginbuffalo

i have a VPN connection and can ping a remote Red Lion G3 touchscreen, but when i try to download a change, it says "unable to open communications port". i think when i was onsite originally, i did not have "IP download" enabled on the comm's remote update page.I did all my downloading by USB. Is this why i have this message? is there another way to remotely change?

i have a VPN connection and can ping a remote Red Lion G3 touchscreen, but when i try to download a change, it says "unable to open communications port". i think when i was onsite originally, i did not have "IP download" enabled on the comm's remote update page.I did all my downloading by USB. Is this why i have this message? is there another way to remotely change?

Here is a possible solution, but I would be careful - I have done it but you could end up with no program at all if something goes wrong.

First of all, you have to have a CF card installed. If not, stop here.

Have someone on site power down the display and then hold down the top two buttons while powering it back up. Hold the buttons until a message is displayed that give an option of pressng F1 to clear the database.

Once it is cleared, have them repeat the process, this time holding down the 1st and 4th buttons. When it comes up you will be given the opportunity to enter the IP address (give him the address you originally programmed the unit with).

Once that is entered, the display should show INVALID DATABASE and in smaller letters, the IP address and that TCP/IP download is enabled.

From there you should be able to download to it.

As I said, it should work, but be ready with another option in case it fails.

One option would be to email the image.ci3 file to be put on the CF card. Once it is rebooted the display should load the image and start to work (be sure to enable TCP/IP download before creating the image.ci3 file.