1784-U2DN and windows 7

vin7102

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a windows 7 system and am trying to install a 1784-u2dn to setup my devicenet system. I only found one other post regarding this issue and it was over a year old with no real solution. Has anyone had any luck getting this to work on a windows 7 system? Also, I have a 64bit system, could this be the issue as well?

Note: I have also tried installing everything on to the virtual machine XP mode and keep locking up the system in the factory talk part of the setup.

Any feedback is appreciated.

The keywords "1784-U2DN 64-bit" in the RA Knowledgebase brings up the first result as Article 462376(Access level:everyone), describing the drivers and revisions that work with Windows 7 64-bit and the 1784-U2DN.

If you are using those versions and still having trouble, post as many additional details as you can.

Okay, After a long bout of down time, i'm back at this thing. Still having some troubles. All I'm getting is a flashing Module Status Light (red). When I start RSNetworx, I see the U2DN on the graph but diognostic view shows a minor recoverable error. No other info is available.

This is what I have:

Windows 7 64bit
1769-SDN card for micrologix 1500
1784-U2DN FW rev.1.008
RsNetworx for DeviceNet with MD v11.00.00
RSLinx Classic Lite v2.59.00 CPR9

Any ideas here? I'm very green to DeviceNet and not sure where else to look.

Thanks..

Let's start with the DeviceNet basics: power, speed, and addressing.

Verify that the black and red wires have +24 volts across them. Remove power and verify that the blue and white wires measure 60 ohms between them. These simple tests make sure that the DeviceNet media is properly installed.

The 1769-SDN displays a series of values as it boots up; write those down and interpret them so you know the baud rate of the 1769-SDN and its Node Number. This is in the user manuals or Knowledgebase. The most common node number for Scanners is Node 0.

Set the 1784-U2DN to a unique node number; the most common node number for temporarily-connected PC interfaces is Node 62.

The Installation Instructions for the 1784-U2DN describe the principles behind the U2DN's Autobaud feature and "fallback" data rate. Usually if the U2DN is connected to a network that includes a scanner it will auto-detect the DeviceNet baud rate.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1784-in046_-en-p.pdf

Check your computer's Device Manager to be sure the U2DN's driver is set up correctly. I don't remember for sure if it is considered a COM port by Windows, or a unique device. Just as long as it's not showing as an Unknown device in the USB category.

I think the 1769-SDN does the same powerup sequence as the 1747-SDN:

LED TEST -- 88
MAJOR FIRMWARE REVISION
MINOR FIRMWARE REVISION
BAUD RATE
00 = 125K
01 = 250K
02 = 500K
NODE ADDRESS

Hey Ken,

After a couple hours of messing about with this and going over your checklist, I finally got it. The Auto-baud rate was the switch I needed. Everything I have read up to now suggested to use the default 125k so I figured that was LAW. Oh well, switched it to auto and off we go!

Thanks for the tips! Good Night..