Factory Talk

Zephyr

I've searched the archives and found nothing quite like this...

I'm in Factory Talk View Studio (Site Edition) and make changes to text that is displayed on one of the HMI's. When I click the save button, I get a pop up that says, "Unable to rename display before doing save. File might be opened by another process." and is unable to save the display.

What am I doing wrong? Help, please...

If the HMI is in RUN mode, then the HMI has the file open. Also a PLC connected to the HMI can keep files open. You must get everything in the correct Program mode or not-running mode to allow the changes.

Thing is, we had an engineer that could make run-time edits on his P.C. but no-one else could do it from theirs. He is now gone and we're trying to figure out how to solve this. Thanks

I don't know about Factory Talk, but for the earlier RSView version, to make run-time edits, you had to have a copy of RSView Works, administrator priviledges, and the correct password. I hope somebody made some notes!

When you're editing a FactoryTalk View Display, you're editing the *.GFX file on the FTView Server.

It doesn't matter if you're physically at the server console, or if you're editing the project using a copy of FactoryTalk View Studio that's running on a remote computer.

What has probably occurred is that there was a crash or other malfunction and now that *.GFX file is tagged by the FTView Server's operating system as being open by a particular user, which prevents you from saving it with the same name.

You're going to have to find that *.GFX file and manually close it. Depending on the OS that the Server is running, there might be some variations, but the basic process involves the Microsoft Management Console:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732037.aspx

A reboot of the FTView Server should also fix this issue, but you might not want to do that during production.

I think that I used to get that if I was trying to rename (or maybe duplicate) a .GFX file while it was open in Studio.

Thank you guys. I will be trying to look for the computer that has the GFX file open soon as I can and I'll get back with you. Perhaps I'll start with the only computer that seemed to be able to do it

Out of curiousity, can you save it with a new name? This will help us identify if it a permission issue as opposed to an open file issue.

What has probably occurred is that there was a crash or other malfunction and now that *.GFX file is tagged by the FTView Server's operating system as being open........

The key is, that Windows is preventing you from overwriting a file that is currently open on another computer. Or, as Ken said, it could be due to an O/S crash where the file never got a chance to properly close.

There are some tools available for hunting down who has a file opened. Here is a pretty good one if Ken's solution doesn't do the trick.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897552

OG

Ahaa!!!

First, thank you all for the replies. When I took this problem to our IT/Facilty monitoring administrator, he said that all of the technicians were in a group with the appropriate permissions. Sure wish he double checked that before making the statement because I just recieved an email stating that the technicians now have "modify" rights in our group. I opened the studio, made changes and now have no problem saving and applying them to the client.

Sure wish he double checked that before making the statement because I just recieved an email stating that the technicians now have "modify" rights in our group.
If a program that has been running okay suddenly will not work, and there is an IT Department in charge, then look there first! They can screw up a 2-car funeral given half a chance.

I guessed pretty good, not ever having used Factory Talk!
I don't know about Factory Talk, but for the earlier RSView version, to make run-time edits, you had to have a copy of RSView Works, administrator priviledges, and the correct password.

Last edited: