Step7 Versions

WildeKurt

I've just inherited a production machine based on Siemens S317 processor. I queried our distributor about Step7 software and he gave me two options: Step 7 V5.5 Basic and Step 7 2010 Professional (for an additional $1600). I've tried searching Siemens web site for a good explanation regarding the differences but haven't had much luck. Anyone know?

Kurt

STEP7 PRO is the same as STEP7 BASIC, but with these software options bundled: PLCSIM, GRAPH, and SCL.
STEP7 BASIC will probably be enough for your application.
If you dont need to work intensively with STEP7, then maybe a 50 hours license will be enough. The 50 hours license is much less expensive and enough for the odd upload, download, hardware diagnostics etc. The 50 hours count incrementally so it does not time out 50 hours after the first use.

Is it 50 hours of being online or using the software? Wouldn't want to forget to close it before going home at night. Also, what happens after 50 hours? Do you get to buy another 50 hours kind of like a phone card?

STEP7 PRO is the same as STEP7 BASIC, but with these software options bundled: PLCSIM, GRAPH, and SCL.
STEP7 BASIC will probably be enough for your application.

Get the distributer to open the project to check which features you require.

There is (or was) Step 7 Lite which you could download from the Siemens website for free. Not sure if they are still doing it (they were last time I checked). It's obviously crippled functionality but might be a starting point. You've nothing to lose to see if the "Lite" version will suit you... ;-)