ISA P&ID Symbol confusion

dogleg43

My background has been primarily in the industrial/automotive area. Device abbreviations there while not exactly standardized between companies seem more straight-forward than ISA tags.

While I’m very familiar with P&ID tags for various flow & pressure transmitters, valves, etc. I have trouble with coming up with the proper tags for other common I/O. Please provide your input regarding applying ISA tags to various devices. For instance for a loop #’d 101 what should the tagnames be for PLC I/O:
A relay sensing UPS battery failure?
Motor over temperature sensor?
Motor seal failure (leaking water into it)
Alarm acknowledgement pushbutton
Control cabinet door is closed
A motor disconnect’s aux-contacts to sense if the disconnect is closed?

Finally, what is the latest version of ISA symbols (S5.1 the latest I can find)?

Thanks and looking forward to your responses.

Isa 5.1

I would number them to the foll0wing using the ISA 5.1 . Latest version ive seen is 2003...
Where yyy is your number running or associated

XSyyy - Misc Switch
TSHyyy - Temperature Switch
XSyyy - Misc Switch
HSyyy- Hans Switch
ZSyyy - Limit Switch
ZSyyy - Limit Switch

Last edited:
I would number them to the foll0wing using the ISA 5.1 . Latest version ive seen is 2003...
Where yyy is your number running or associated

XSyyy - Misc Switch
TSHyyy - Temperature Switch
XSyyy - Misc Switch
HSyyy- Hans Switch
ZSyyy - Limit Switch
ZSyyy - Limit Switch

Thanks RheinhardtP.

I was just over-complicating things as usual.