Can anyone help me write a PLC code using Mitsubishi Melsoft GX Developer?

bebenona

I am new to PLC programming and just started a new internship where they are asking me to write a pretty simple program. I am studying Mechanical Engineering and have never had any programming training so I am having a hard time thinking in ladder logic. I know what I need to make the machine do, but it is frustrating not being able to speak it's language.

I need the program to be something like:
  1. I will turn off the emergency stop
  2. I will turn on the on/off switch
  3. These two actions should make a wheel containing parts rotate
  4. A sensor will activate telling it has rotated successfully
  5. When the sensor comes on, a stamper should come down and brand the part.
  6. Then the stamper resets.
  7. Finally the wheel resets.
  8. Everything repeats.
I need to have some kind of safety built in that will stop the program if the wheel does not function properly. If it does not rotate and the sensor does not come, it should stop and NOT stamp.

Last edited:
I do not have the Mitsubishi software, but I could write the program in another brand, such as Allen Bradley RSLogix, Omron ZEN, Siemens S7-200, or Automation Direct DirectSoft. The PLC logic will be similar in all those different software packages.

Yes, please, I would really appreciate that! I think just seeing how the logic works would be a great help to me. Translating it into melsoft shouldn't be too difficult for me after that.

Okay, I will be back in a few minutes. I will post the program here.

EDIT: Here is a LogixPro Simulator program that runs as you described. I had to simulate the sensor by closing and opening I:1/2 at the correct times. The timers are a guess. You will need to adjust the times to match the real operation of your parts wheel and stamper.

Bebenona's Stamper Logic.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I can't wait to be done with this program and move on with projects that I am better at. I have been doing this: o_O for far too long.

I can't wait to be done with this program and move on with projects that I am better at.
I understand your feelings, but at least try to learn a little about PLC programming. As a mechanical engineer you will need to be able to read PLC programs. You will come in contact with a lot of them real quick. I know a young ME right now that is having to learn electrical engineering and how to write a PLC program. This will not be the last time that you will need to know a little about PLCs.

Last edited:
I have actually studied the basics of PLCs, and am slightly familiar with the program that you used. I said that I have not had any program training, but what I should have said what that I have not had any training with this Mitsubishi software. It is really terrible and does not work the same way (for example, timers are much trickier). It is helpful to now have your code though and I am starting the process of translating it. I know that it is good to know this stuff, but hopefully I do not have to deal with Melsoft for much longer!

Thanks again!

It is really terrible and does not work the same way (for example, timers are much trickier).
Does Melsoft allow you to make comparisons of the timer value? If not, you will need some more instructions, probably two timers where T4:1 is now. Probably Melsoft does not have the T4:1/TT Timer Timing (TT) bit, so you will have to use an internal PLC seal-in relay to hold the T4:1 timer running, and a Normally Closed timer contact to shut off the seal-in relay.

If you can describe how your Melsoft timer works, then I could modify the LogixPro program to work similarly.

Last edited:
Does Melsoft allow you to make comparisons of the timer value? If not, you will need some more instructions, probably two timers where T4:1 is now. Probably Melsoft does not have the T4:1/TT Timer Timing (TT) bit, so you will have to use an internal PLC seal-in relay to hold the T4:1 timer running, and a Normally Closed timer contact to shut off the seal-in relay.

That is exactly what I was just trying to figure out. I will try to add the two new timers and see if it gets me anywhere. :unsure:

Edit: I think that this is beyond what I can do. I really don't know how to do what you just described.

Last edited:
Damian,

Would you like to convert the program to Melsoft for Bebenona?

Bebe,
Here is Rev 1 with a relay replacing the TT timer bit, so that you can duplicate the logic in Melsoft. According to Damian, all other logic should be compatible.

Bebenona's Stamper Logic Rev 1.jpg

Last edited:
I have attached a zipped file with the conversion to Mitsubishi. Is there a way I can attach a screenshot? That way if you don't have GX Developer you can see it.

-Dave

Dave, yes, you can print the Melsoft program to a *.jpg picture file, or you can print it as an Adobe *.pdf file. You might have to compress a picture file to get it to fit in the allowed space.

Last edited:
Wow, you guys are incredible. Thank you all for taking the time to help me.

Dave, I tried to open that file and it said that it was corrupted. Is there any chance you could do as Lancie suggested and save it as a .jpg or .pdf?

I may have to upload Melsoft and print it out for you. My computer is bogged down with so many different PLC programs that running a program is like pouring molasses. Is there a free Melsoft download, or maybe a demo program that I could use? EDIT: I found the free 60-day demo and am waiting on a confirmation code for a user account.

EDIT2: I don't think that Mitsubishi is going to send the code any time soon. Their computer must have to check to see if I am a real person.

Last edited: