Kfd 1770 devicenet error

yasirkhi

I have bought 1770 KFD to configure devicenet via Rsnetworx. I can't proceed further until it communicates. But it is not communicating at all when doing rslinx and giving me following error.

"KFD32 Error: Operation timed out".

Plc is in program mode and running.
I didn't buy the cable, use normal cable from kfd to devicenet. (do i need termination, if yes which point)

This is separate PLC at home no other network is attached, between kfd and devicenet.

Module light is blinking, rs232 blink when run test from rslinx.

Please help.

What devices are on the DeviceNet network ? Do you know what data rate they are running at ?

At least one other device needs to be connected which is not an AutoBaud device.

DeviceNet generally needs termination to run properly; it's fantastically cheap to put 120 ohm resistors on the far ends of the network trunk, so why not do so ?

The cable between the 1770-KFD and your computer should be the one that came with the KFD, but the 1747-CP3 or 1756-CP3 will work as well. The cable must be a "null modem" type, not a straight-through serial cable.

Are you using a USB/RS232 converter ? Be sure you're using the correct COMx port. Some USB converters won't work with the 1770-KFD driver, though the Keyspan USA-19HS does.

There is no other device on the network. I only got the 1770KFD using keyspan USB and normal serial 232cable.

From kfd to devicenet I used 5 wire and connected to both side connectors.
Which far end those termination resister to be installed.

Where to see baud rate for devicenet scanner so I could put these setting while connecting rslinx.

Last edited:
The same serial cable you use to connect to Channel 0 on an SLC-5/0x controller will also work with the 1770-KFD.

Because you are using a USB/RS232 converter, you must double-check in the Windows Control Panel to be certain you have selected the correct Windows COMx port number in the 1770-KFD driver.

Since you have only two devices on your short "network", the cable has only two ends. Place a 120 ohm termination resistor across the blue and white conductors at the 1747-SDN side, and across the blue and white conductors at the 1770-KFD side.

By default, a 1747-SDN is set for Node 63, 125 kb/s when it comes out of the box.

When you power cycle a 1747-SDN, it scrolls several numbers across the two-digit display.

88 LED self-test
07 Firmware Major Revision
02 Firmware Minor Revision
00 Communicate Rate
63 MAC ID/Node Number

This is described on page 12 of the Installation Instructions.

The Communication Rate is encoded where 00= 125 kb/s, 01 = 250 kbs/, and 02 = 500 kb/s.

You should select the proper DeviceNet data rate on the 1770-KFD, and of course configure the KFD so that it's not set for the same Node Number as the scanner card.

While DeviceNet can function very well on short lengths of marginal wiring, I don't recommend just running five random bits of copper wire as a network cable.

You should set your scanner to a different node address than 63.

63 is the default node address for "software-selectable" devices, so you will have problems adding such devices if 63 is already used by the Scanner, or any other device.

A very typical setup (but not enforced) is as follows....

Node 00 : Your scanner 1747-SDN
Nodes 01 to 61 : Your devices
Node 62 : KFD
Node 63 : Do not use : default node address for new devices

When you come to do work on a real network, be aware that a KFD can take up to 1A from the network supply. Include this in your network design, because plugging in or switching on a KFD can bring many networks down. Thin-wire DeviceNet = 3A max.

You can power a KFD externally if you wish (9V @ 1A), in which case only connect the DeviceNet CAN-H and CAN-L wires (white and blue).

:-(

I HAVE SUPPLIED 24V DC FROM SLC500 POWER SUPPLY. AND DID NOT USE THE KFD 9V SUPPLY. ALSO USED TERMINATION BOTH END WHITE/BLUE 120 OHMS, AS KEN INSTRUCTED. I HAVE CHECKED THE COM PORT ON KEYSPAN AND BAUD RATE AT KEYSPAN.

FOLLOWING ARE THE NUMBER SHOWN BELOW.

88 LED self-test
02 Firmware Major Revision
04 Firmware Minor Revision
00 Communicate Rate
30 MAC ID/Node Number

WHEN PLUG IN DEVICENET BLINK TWO NUMBERS 30 AND 79.

I AM STILL GETTING THE SAME ERROR, PLEASE SEE THE IMAGES OF ERROR AND SETTING.

I HAVE THIS SETUP AT HOME, AND NO OTHER DEVICE CONNECTED, JUST KFD AND DEVICENET.

kfd1.jpg kfd2.jpg kfd3.jpg KFD4.jpg

Thanks to all

Thank you all. I have resolved the issue by making a cable from kfd to computer mentioned in KFD manual.

Thanks for the feedback - it appears we mistakenly assumed your PC was communicating correctly with the KFD.