Simatic S7-200 pc/ppi cable usb<->freeport

I don't know for sure. But if you can select your USB-PPI cable as a COM port in a simple (or less simple) terminal program such as Hyper terminal, then I guess it should be possible. I think you better try this first. If it works, I think you can use this cable in the same way as a RS232-PPI cable.

I think this should work, because I used to hav an internal modem and I could also control it as if it was a COM port. I wont compare to my USB-RS232 converter, because there the sole purpose is to use it as a COM port.

Good luck and please don't forget to inform us all here about the results. There are others who might use this info.

Kind regards,

I have just received the Siemens Knowledge Base Edition 12/03 and guess what I've read in it:
The smart PPI cable has two modes of operation, … the PPI mode and the Freeport mode.
The Smart USB Cable has one mode of operation, … the PPI mode.

There it is: it's not possible to use freeport mode with the USB cable. If you want to read the complete article, search the Siemens website for entry 15159037.

Sorry if I gave you any false hope.

Kind regards,