plotter advice

bce123

Lifetime Supporting Member
has any one used the EZ-mark plotter system? or recommend a plotter for terminal markers? Thanks,

Maybe it is because I have used computers since before the Apple IIe and so I have these things hanging around. I find old fashioned dot matrix printers are excellent for making terminal labels and component markers. The only hassle is fighting Windows Print Server settings, but once you have done that it is cheap, quick and easy. It does help that the blank markers that I stick these to comes in strips.

Terminal Labels166.jpg

ianingram, this looks like the ez-mark
bryang, I don't think the dot-matrix will run the snap in plastic markers?
Thanks for your replies,

bce I was looking at buying one. I don't know if I can justify it. The ink life is what I was worried about.

I am going to try G3 controls. They allowyou to email a list of tags and the make them fir you. In a 2 months I have a project that I can try it on.

:)
bryang, I don't think the dot-matrix will run the snap in plastic markers?
Yeh, see I go with the old fashioned way and use the facility that is given by the self adhesive labels and stick the labels to the clip in markers. Of course I use the even older fashioned way and use scissors to cut the self adhesive labels in to strips before I stick them to the clip in markers. You would almost think that those black lines were put there on purpose so as to be a guide for when using the scissors.:)

I use Brady - the labels slide into sleeves and can be pushed out - the sleeves slide over the cable. The printer is thermal transfer and the numbers do not fade, run or disolve into the markers and become unreadable.
I found that ink jets fade or run when wet - dot matrix disolve into the markers and both are then unreadable.
http://www.bradyaust.com.au/handheld-label-printers/tls-pc-link-thermal-transfer-printers.cfm
http://www.bradyaust.com.au/handheld-label-printers/tls-2200-thermal-label-printer.cfm
http://www.bradyid.com/bradyid/domino/contentView.do/B390.html
This printer will do the Durasleeve markers I normally use, heat shrink labels, self laminating labels and some switch board labels.
http://www.bradyaust.com.au/bmp71/wire-id/

BobB, Ihave the BMP71 Idont think it will do the plastic snap in terminal labels?

The leaflet at the link for the BMP71 says Durasleeve, self laminating and heat shrink. I use the Durasleeve not the snap in plastic ones. The Durasleeve are polyester I think - they work really well.
If the enquirer searches at the Brady site there are plenty of other printers available.
By the way, my printer is an old one - Brady do not even sell it any more. I think it is actually a re-badged Seagull printer.

The leaflet at the link for the BMP71 says Durasleeve, self laminating and heat shrink. I use the Durasleeve not the snap in plastic ones. The Durasleeve are polyester I think - they work really well.
If the enquirer searches at the Brady site there are plenty of other printers available.
By the way, my printer is an old one - Brady do not even sell it any more. I think it is actually a re-badged Seagull printer.
Hi Bob,
We use the Brady TLS2200 and often have trouble getting the labels in to the sleeves. The label folds double before it is all the way in the sleeve. Is there an easier way or is does it vary between batches of sleeves?

just an update, I bought the Allen Bradley plotter have not use it yet but have used one in the past. I get a god enough discount on the ab terminals and labels for it so I went this way. Thanks for all the input!

Hi Bob,
We use the Brady TLS2200 and often have trouble getting the labels in to the sleeves. The label folds double before it is all the way in the sleeve. Is there an easier way or is does it vary between batches of sleeves?

I just used a hot air gun to soften the sleeves a bit. Makes it a lot easier to push the labels in :)

I just used a hot air gun to soften the sleeves a bit. Makes it a lot easier to push the labels in :)
Warm day is OK too although I generally do not have too many problems.

Hi Bob,

Warm day is OK too although I generally do not have too many problems.

Don't forget, we're in Melbourne :cool: