SLC-505e ethernet port question

MartinV

What ethernet port number does the SLC-505e use? I believe it's 2222 but I'm not sure. Can it be changed or is it hardwired?

Also, which "side" of the connection is the PLC - server or client?

Thanks.

The SLC-5/05 is unusual among A-B controllers in that it is "dual stack", supporting both the classic proprietary "CSPv4" Ethernet protocol on TCP Port 2222, and the modern "EtherNet/IP" protocol on TCP Port 44818.

Both of these TCP Port numbers are fixed and cannot be changed.

In most cases the SLC is the Server device, with HMI and programming/editing computers being the Clients.

The SLC can also use Message (MSG) instructions that allow it to be the Client to other controllers.

I should add a little detail; the SLC-5/05 wasn't originally 'dual stack' because the ControlLogix and EtherNet/IP didn't exist at the time.

Support for EtherNet/IP was added to the SLC-5/05 in about 1998. The old Series A hardware can't be upgraded, (1993-1997 or so) but the bulk of the SLC-5/05's in the field are newer and can be firmware upgraded to support EtherNet/IP.

The SLC-5/05 Ethernet hardware changed again with the Series C hardware in 2004, when a 10/100 Mb/s port instead of a 10 Mb/s Half-Duplex only port. If your hardware has a label that says something about "10/100 Ethernet" near the Ethernet jack, it's definitely a Series C and definitely supports both protocols.

OK - a follow-up question: Do you know if the ethernet port in a SLC505e works like a standard "socket" connection?

Here's my situation. I'm doing some R&D work here - mostly for my own education. I write industrial process control programs that, among other things, exchange data with a PLC. The actual communication between my program and the PLC is handled by some third-party software (Cimquest InGear). All I do is pass data to the 3rd party routine and it handles everything with the PLC. No problems - everything works fine.

What I would like to do now is create a program that, among other things, pretends that it is a PLC. What I was thinking was that if I had this program hosting a server-side socket set to port 44818 then my existing program's 3rd party stuff would be able to communicate with it.

Now, I know there's a lot more to it than this but as a first step I thought I would see if I could at least get the 3rd party software to "connect" to the fake PLC. But, unfortunately, it does not seem to be able to that. Thus my question: is the PLC's port simply a socket? Or does it even resemble a socket? Or is it something completely different?