Boot P and Compact Logix

jackhenkel

I am trying to either put a IP on my compact logix PLC or trying to just read the IP. I was planning on using BOOTP to accomplish this. When I go to open the BootP software an error occurs. The error reads, " Network Setup Error, fix network settings or connection and retry the application." Here's the kicker it worked fine about 3 hours ago? What happened, how do if fix this error?

It seems like I got that error with each new installation until I went into the server menu bar under Tools, Network Settings, and properly entered the network mask and other fields.

My PC isn't connected to a network. I turn off wireless so it's not but the thing is I had it working when connected and also when not? I've tried coworkers computers and they seem to work fine.

My PC isn't connected to a network.

This may be an issue, not sure. Try physically connecting to your PLC (via crossover cable or local switch) before starting the BootP server. it may be necessary to have a valid network connection in order to make the BootP server happy.

When I first installed the rockwell bootp server on this machine, I got an error like you described until I set up the software under the the Tools menu, then click on Network Settings, and fill in the blanks.

With no network, or dns settings, I think you can leave those blank or set to 0, but you will probably need a subnet mask. Try 255.255.255.0.

Okie I plugged the computer back into the PLC and bingo worked fine as far as bringing up bootp. I want to have your babies! Seriously though next question. I go in and set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 all good to here. I start seeing the MAC's pop up and select the only one that is appearing because I am only connected to the Compact Logix PLC at this time so I know it is correct. I add to relations list and set the IP. It appears to go in but seems to be set the first time the MAC appears and then not the next time it appears. It seems to be everyother time the MAC appears it's there then not there. Sounds confusing I know. Anyways I go to set it permanently by selecting disable BOOTP/DHCP but this gives me an error. Give me a sec and I'll tell you the error.

Ok Okie, I figured it out I had to change my adapter settings in my pc to be in the same subnet as the IP I just set to the PLC durrrrr..... Thanks bud!

I cringed too, but I have already had a vasectomy...no more babies for me.

"Lifetime Supporting Member" seems kinda inappropriate now then :ROFLMAO:

{no offence, just couldn't resist the opportunity for humor}