Compact I/O expansion cable between cabinets

kolyur

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have a Micrologix 1500 system that I'd like to expand by using a 1769-PA2 power supply and 1769-CRL3 expansion cable. The problem is that the base and expansion racks need to be in separate cabinets, and the expansion cable has a large I/O endcap on both ends. I'd have to cut a large rectangular hole in both cabinets and use Roxtec-style cable entry seals for it to work as-is.

That is, unless the endcap could be removed from one end temporarily. Has anyone done this? The terminations are hidden by a seemingly removable plastic cover, and I can see at least part of a pluggable rectangular header underneath. I'm hesitant to tear into it unless I hear that it's been done successfully before.

The end cap easily comes apart and the cable pulled through 3/4" conduit. I ran into the same problem. The cabinets will have to directly adjacent to one another. You will also have to take into consideration the right-left left-right expansion cables. Not he best way to do things but can be done.