PLC connectivity through Internet???

JoseM

The diagram I'm showing is in a big picture, what a network in my company looks like, that allows me to access the PLC's on all equipment using the wireless capabilities of the router and the Rockwell Software on my computer.

I want to be able to access the PLC's on the equipment with my computer using the DSL service, remotely. I purchase a VPN unit because I was told that I will needed to achieve this.

Can you guys give any help on this configuration? If the VPN has to be used, where in that diagram would I have to put it?

Work Network.jpg

Jose

I thought you had this working? What VPN unit do you have?

Where it goes depends on what you have. We need more info.

Is it a SSL VPN unit or IPSEC?

SSL you do with a browser in most cases and IPSEC will have a client to install on your home PC.

You can also do this with hamachi software or open VPN.

I have a Netgear SSL312 VPN concentrator. The PLC Kid, I've being troubleshooting PLC issues remotely using "Team Viewer" but what I really want to do if possible is to open "RSlogix500" on my PC and browse under the "Comm" tab down to the processor I want to access from my home throughout the DSL internet connection I have at the router at work.

You will want to install this as single arm behind your firewall in most cases. You need to give it it's own management IP on the same subnet as the rest of your LAN and also a few addresses for it's DHCP pool if you want it to handle DHCP or you can still have your device that does DHCP now handle it but I would say you would get better performance if you VPN unit handles it for VPN connections.

Just setup another DHCP scope for you VPN concentator.

Everything behind the "Wireless Router" is static IP. To connect "Single Arm" the VPN, I just need to connect the Cat5e cable that comes from the "Router" to what port on the VPN?

I have other people that access the PLC and computers on the drawing remotely as well, but they used "GoToMyPC". If I install the SSL312, would it affect their ability to connect to the system?

Can you give specific instruction on how to setup the SSL312. I'm very weak on this type of network structure.