Connecting 2 Twidos to a Magelis Hmi on Modbus

supaplex

Hi,
I want to connect 2 Twido ldmda20drt PLCs to a Magelis GT5330 Hmi through Modbus. Magelis is the master controller. Twidos have Rs-485 port. Magelis has rs-485 port on Com2. They are all schneider-electric products.
I use 3 rs-485 cables and a hub to connect the devices.

However there are some troubleshootings with the configuration.
In the magelis settings, i create a modbus master driver and in the driver settings i create 2 slaves Twido1 and Twido2. If i designate slave addresses as Twido1=1 and Twido2=2,6,9 or sthg else, only Twido1's controllers work on a Twido device no matter which Twido device i am using or its own address. In other words, Magelis doesn't differentiate between Twidos and their addresses. It communicates with the twidos if the slave equipment address is configured as 1 only in its own settings.

Do you know how to overcome the problem and make Magelis differentiate and communicate with Twidos according to their own addresses?

Any help appreciated.

Do you have two different RS ports or only one minidin8 port on whole cpu?

That port which is on twd lmda20drt cpu is port 1 (same which you use for programming, on top left)

On default this port uses unitelway protocol, not modbus. You can use this port also for modbus, but selection between modbus and unitelway is maded on the cabling.

Last edited:
There is only one Mini-DIN connector on top left of the PLC. It is written that the integrated controller of this connector (TWD NOZ 485D) supports Modbus or Character mode protocols only. I am using schneider-electric XBT Z9780 cables with a RJ-45 connector for Magelis (or hub) and a Mini-DIN connector for Twido.

No, that is programming port on cpu.

TWD NOZ485D is expansion port2, which have to buyed and installed seperately to twido. It is installed on left side of CPU.

You need now two TWD NOZ485D communication adapters or different cable for programmin port

(Programming port is now on unitelway protocol, and that is why only one CPU works with panel)

Here is pin description of programmin port and schematic of cable you need on twido side

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=403630#post403630

(On XBT Z9780 cable pins 5 and 7 are not connected to each other and port1 is on programming/unitelway mode not in modbus mode. Port2 mode is defined only via program, so with port2 this cable works)

Last edited:
That seems reasonable. It's manual or catalogue doesn't mention the unitelway protocol though. I'll test again with 5-7 pins connected to each other soon. Thank you for your reply.

The last document that you have attached explains everything i guess. TWDXCARJ030 cable is needed if i use the slave addresses other than 1. Then it should be a cable problem. I'll soldier a new cable with 5-7 pins connected and test it soon. I hope that will work. Thanks very much for the help! :)

Last edited:
XBT z9780 cable works if you have only one cpu connected to panel and have configured panel settings:
slave1, 19200, none, 8, 1

Thanks, and welcome to the forum

Last edited:
Ok just my 5 cents worth. I think the problem he is having is that he isnt defining his variables for the 2nd twido as "modbusequipment2" So all his variables is pointing to the twido slave 1.
Have a look at your variables in vijeo designer