Logix 500 I/O Configuration

jackhenkel

I want to replace an input and output card for my system with newer versions, 1746-IA16 & 1746-OA16 are the newer versions I want to use. I need to go into my program and switch this into the hardware section I believe. How do I go about swapping this configuration in the Logix 500 software? It appears to me that the old config is locked in. Any info is much appreciated.

Go online and update your offline copy. Then go offline, update the I/O configuration. Change out the cards. Then download the program with the revised I/O configuration.

My processor has also changed from 1747-L40B to 1746-P2 how do I change this in the controller properties. There is a drop down list but it doesn't appear to have the correct option of 1746-P2

1746-P2 is not the processor, but the power supply. Are you swapping from one of the old brick-type SLCs to the modular/rack style or sticking with the old brick with built-in I/O?

You are correct I mispoke with that. I believe the only thing that is changing is the inputs and outputs. As far as your question not sure as I haven't seen the actual system. The change that is seen is the new input card has 16 inputs where's the old had 24 inputs. The outputs both have 16 outputs

HMMM??

The 1747-L40B processor has 24 embedded inputs, there are no cards that have 24 inputs.
There are cards for that processor with 2,4,6,8,16 and 32 inputs.

If you want help I think you need to take a step back and find out just what hardware you have and changing to.

Last edited:
I didn't clarify well enough, it was using 24 inputs on a 32 input card. So, I have to take those 24 inputs and spread them out across two 16 input cards because the old card is broken and is now obsolete. It appears that I need to create a new data file for these input cards, is this true?

When you add cards to the I/O configuration it will automatically create the data files for you.

The cards you listed in post #1 one is an input the other is a output card.

OK - everyone take a breath.

Jackhenkel - list exactly what system you have right now (CPU, add-on cards) and exactly what system you are changing to.

Explain the I/O allocation you are using and what is confusing you about the change.

Processor 1747-L40B 24-115 VAC In 16-Triac Out. Is what was being used. I don't know much about the system but I'm thinking we were using the processor's inputs and outputs for all the I/O we needed. (As Mickey asked) This took a **** and we can't replace the processor so we need a new cpu and input and output cards. I wasn't given too much info hence all my confusion. After talking with Mickey I believe all I have to do is figure out the new cpu and I should be all set. I have figured out how to add new cards to the I/O config. that seems easy. Now I have to get more info about the cpu. I'll let you know my findings.