PanelView 600

maxine,
Without doing some Manual review, I don't remember any direct way to disable a printer port from the Panelview screen. However there probably is a way to do that using specific software packages. The first question is: what computer software program are you using the Panelview with? Now, does that program manual, in the chapter dealing with "Printers", "Printer Set-Up", or "Communications Port Settings", show any method that the printer port can be disabled using a programming line of code? If so, then you can set up a button on your Panelview screen to do the job. Otherwise, probably not.

I am not sure I understand completely but...

The light bulb came on. In Configration mode you enter Printer Setup and there be an option for enabling or disabling....BUT this may be dependent on whether the port can be used for file transfer.

Here is the manual: http://www.ab.com/manuals/eoi/pdf/2711-um014d-en-p.pdf
Chapter 3 page 34 shows the Printer setup in Configuration mode.

Last edited:
Thanks guys...

This is exactly what I did...unfortunatelly, when I touch the Port Mode button, nothing happen, the printer remaines enabled...is the display broken?

Lancie, I have no access to terminal, I can't establish the communication to it, so the software is not a solution...

Which communication option do you have for your PV600 ?

Some PanelView terminals (RIO, DH+, ControlNet and DeviceNet) can use their RS-232 ports for Upload/Download or for Printing. On those terminals, you have to set the port for "Printing Disabled" if you want to upload or download using the RS-232 port.

Other PanelView terminals (DH-485 and DF1) have a secondary Printer Port that can only be used for Printing. If you want to disable that port.... unplug it !

I just powered up a 2711-T9C3 terminal with DH485 networking and an RS-232 printer port. It still has a button for "Port Mode" on the Printer Setup screen in Configuration Mode, but it doesn't do anything when you press it because the RS-232 port on this particular model of PanelView can only be used for printing.

Hi Ken,
the terminal has 2 RS-232 and the comm. protocol is DH-485 (exactelly like yours...). The auxiliary port is configurated for printer. Ok, I was thinking maybe the comm. port is configurated for printing...Anyway, the ideea is I cannot communicate with this display and I don't know why. What I did: because the protocol is DH-485, I used RSLinx for communication and I picked 1747-PIC/AIC driver (according with AB manual) from the list. The comm. cable I have is 2711-NC13...Am I wrong or the display is defect?

The DH485 model aux port can not be used for file transfers, just printing.

The PIC 9 pin connector goes to your computers serial port, you will need cable 1747-C10, C11 or C20 to connect from the PIC to the Panelview. The cable you need will look like the picture below.

Connecting to is explained in the manual Chapter 12

dh485cable.jpg

Last edited:
Just in case I misunderstood

The RS232(DH485) models have 2 nine pin ports, one for comm and other for prining. WIth these you can use the 2711-NC13 but I think when you do setup in PB32 you choose DH485, if that doesnt work try using DF1 just for GP.

pvrs232.jpg

Last edited: