Omron Input Cards

bopol

Hi All!

just want to check if i understand the manual correctly since the omron support has not answered me for 3 days now...

basically, i need to know the max frequency for the input modules as i need fast input pulses that vary from a few hundred hz to max of 5khz. these pulses will be used to calculate for flow rate and total volume.

based on the manual, the CJ1w-IDP01 has max ON input pulse of 0.05ms and max OFF pulse of 0.5ms which makes one pulse cycle=0.55ms or freq of approx 1818Hz(1/0.55ms)...is my assumption and calculation correct?

also, CJ1W-ID212 has default setting of 8ms on and off time but says can be set to 0-32ms on the cx-programmer...and 0ms setting means 15us ON response time and 90us OFF response time... which i assume to have total pulse cycle of 105us or freq of approx 9523hz(1/105us)?

can i use these modules for my application or do i need the fast counter module? total of 18 points needed for fast inputs

btw, im using CJ2m-CPU13 as controller.

hope the omron gurus can clarify this so i can purchase the correct modules and start programming already =)

best regards,

Paul S.

I assume you are using A CJ1 processor
your calculations seem to be correct.
with a 5Khz Pulse you will be on the top limit.
the smaller shoebox processors have two or more designated fast inputs for encoders etc.
because you are using a rack type system you will probably need to install a HSC card.

Hi iant,

thanks for the reply!(y)

i was hoping to use the CJ1W-id212 instead of the HSC as the price difference is quite big as i would need 9 HSC's as opposed to just 2 ID212's... 'seems i have no choice but to use HSC :unsure:

BR,

Paul S.

The response time of the module is only one piece of the puzzle. The through put time is what you really need to figure out.
That will include the scan time of your program code as well.
The processor will scan the inputs, solve the logic then write the outputs.

Worst case, if the input turns on after the inputs are read, it will require two logic scans to process the input.

Based on your frequency response requirements, have you considered the CJ2M-MD211 (NPN) or CJ2M-MD212 (PNP).

Hope this will help.

@gtsuport:

omron rep finally replied earlier and also recommended the CJ2m-md211 module. so if i use this module and configure 4 inputs as quick response and configure 2 more inputs as high speed counter then i should be able to pick up the pulses even if my scan time is longer than the pulses...

thanks for the feedback guys! much appreciated!