ENI problems

eleazar

I set one 1761 ENI to an SLC 5-03 to our ethernet network company and works ok just for 2 days, now, suddenly, I can not see the ENI (from my PC at office), I changed the IP, power off ENI, reset ENI, put new module, changed ends of the cable and still have no communication, , making ping at CMD and not see the new IP addres..

both ethernet LEDs are off at the ENI, but LINK LED of the switch we have is on.(solid green).
Friend told me that I have to use STATIC IP but not sure if this will solve my problem,, IT Department is in the way to provide this static IP
any help will be apretiate..
thanks

What series/frn (firmware revision number)?

Different series support different connection limits which can be the source of lockups with the NET-ENI. Also, cable problems...they sometimes require a power cycle following a wiring problem.

See if you can browse to the webpage of the module, and report the hardware/firmware numbers, and ethernet connections stats.

And, if you are mixing HMI/SCADA trafiic with a business LAN, I hope your IT department understands what they are doing.

You have to be careful when multiple devices are accessing the NET-AIC. If possible, set up an RSLinx Gateway where multiple devices may need access to the PLC, route them through a Topic in RSLinx Gateway, and have only one location with a direct connection to the NET-AIC. You are then going to hit the 38.4k baud brick wall, but it is still not bad if you plan for that going in.

Does your IT department manage all of the DCHP/DNS names for all of the PLCs on Ethernet? In my opinion, separate physical networks with a managed router is the way to go. Let the PLC guy set up his side, and just let a few users access from across the router...

Let the packets fly where they may.

thanks Okie, let me check this information with our IT people..
first time I use this 1761-NET ENI module, besides that im not a plc expert,, I tought that just ENIW can have web acces,, so ENI has same available access?
thanks again..
Do I need just set IP address at my browser?

thanks Okie, let me check this information with our IT people..
first time I use this 1761-NET ENI module, besides that im not a plc expert,, I tought that just ENIW can have web acces,, so ENI has same available access?
thanks again..

I am pretty sure that all of them have a webpage you can visit by typing the IP address into your URL (provided there's nothing tricky going on, and your PC is on the same subnet).

I make shortcuts/favorites for these fixed IP devices sometimes, so I can name them what I want, and just click the icon on the shortcut bar.

The series (A, B, C, ...) is still needed to get much more specific. I think with series D they added the ability to configure remotely via ethernet using a free com port redirector utility. And I think that is when the number of concurrent TCP/IP connections was raised from very few to barely enough ;)