Old Components - Recycle or Dump ?

passwordg

Hey guys,
Just wondering... A spring cleaning turned up a fair amount of burnt out Allen Bradley processors and IO cards, Tonnes and Tonnes of not working barcode scanners, various computer cables which I need to get rid off.

I'm thinking more environmental than for money from recycling. Any cash is just bonus.
If there any place I can send these discarded electronics for recycling instead of just dumping them in the trash compactor ?

Give them to your local area vo-tech school or college.

Some of the pieces may have value as-is or be repairable if you want $omething back from the parts.

Or stick 'em on eBay with a 1¢ starting bid, with their condition clearly stated in the description. Someone may want them for parts (i.e. terminal screws, etc.). Always nicer to find a home for junk, rather than the landfill... (y)

🍻

-Eric

I bet a large portion of us regulars on this forum are pack rats. I would have a hard time throwing away any of them that are partially functional, and would definitely salvage doors, terminal blocks, standoffs, I have several boxes of that salvage stuff tucked away...it often comes in handy just for a housing for a cracked but working module...

I too have quite the collection of, well, junk. 99.99% chance of ever needing it, but, you never know!... :ROFLMAO:

I actually unloaded a pile of older stuff on eBay a few years back. I didn't want to part with it at the time, but I haven't had a 'need' for any of it since, so it was definitely a good idea to sell it. Made a decent buck too! I may need to go through my current 'collection' and do some pruning one of these days... :nodi:

🍻

-Eric

Its a pity you are not in the UK. We buy non functional automation equipment for spares and repairs of other obsolete parts.

There are several surplus PLC dealers in USA that do the same.

I have 4 or 5 jaguar scales for AB RIO ready for loadcells. Yea they are used but I might want to. ....... you are probably right I will never use them for anything except holding down that shelf.
I have a customer who doesn't through ANYTHING away. They still have that old PLC2 that was struck by lightning. Just in case.

Most cities have an "e-waste" program you can use to get rid of anything remotely electronic. Eventually it will be picked over for tin and lead and gold in some dirt-floor hut, but it won't get shredded and packed into a landfill.

You'll probably pay a fee for CRTs and non-Computer parts, but it's nominal.

Your state may lag this trend a bit, but there are definitely electronics recyclers around.