Unity program version not the same - Help!

DebPeterson

We recieved a unity program from a vendor and it was developed using 5.0 we use 4.1 at our plant. cannot open or view, wondering what are my choices to deal with this problem. Software has not been handed over yet, checkout not even done.
Thanks sooooo much. Deb

Is it an .STU? If so... change extension to .STA and then open that. I can't guarantee you'll get everything - especially if using the DTMs and Operator Screens (perhaps other stuff to), but it might be enough to get by if you just want to look. Otherwise, I might try and have the vendor save an STA for you, if they haven't already.

Robert, Thanks, yes I did recieved both a .sta and .stu. so opening the .sta will be ok? Besides the fact I may not have everything. I am not going on line, I just wanted to see the IO and how vendor might have set up the logic, but we will need to take possession of this software in the future and do all future troubleshooting.

Robert, I attempted to open the .sta, asked if I wanted to continue even know they were not compatiable. Then I recieved an error that the CPU reference: <140 CPU 650 50 02.80 > is missing. Do you understand what it might be barking about? I saw nothing in the program? Thanks,

In Unity Help there is a section on compatibility rules. The way I read this your processor version is too new - the older Unity doesn't know what to do with a FW2.8 processor:

Version X.Y applications: application version corresponding to the processor chosen in the Unity Pro configuration screen (project creation step).

Unity Pro V5.0 handles version levels: Premium/Quantum V2.00 (V2.21), V2.30, V2.40, V2.50, V2.60, V2.70; Modicon M340 V1.0, V2.0, V2.1
Unity Pro V4.1 handles version levels: Premium/Quantum V2.00 (V2.21), V2.30, V2.40, V2.50, V2.60, V2.70; Safety Quantum V1.0, V2.0; Modicon M340 V1.0, V2.0, V2.1

Sorry I can't help more. You can try an .xef if you have it, but I doubt that will work. Maybe someone else knows of a workaround, besides, of course, upgrading Unity. I heard V7 is due out anytime now, but haven't seen it yet.

Robert, yes, thanks so much! We have begun the talk of upgrading to 6.0 or 7.0. We have 7 plants and just one vendor is causing this. We handle most all of our own hardware and software in all our plants. More involvement earlier on could have prevented this but then there is always a new something coming out! Take care and thanks again.

At some point you just have to upgrade.
If you use the newer processors that came out after v4.1 was released you don't really have a choice.
Apart from supporting the latest hardware there are lots of nice features in the latest release