RSLogix 500 Window Re-Sizing Issue

Fitz

When opening some RSLogix 500 program files, my RSLogix window is re-sized smaller. The same thing happens when I go from offline to online. Once the file is open, I can resize the window and click “window” and then “arrange” from the pull down menu. This does not happen with all files, but files from a certain customer’s SLC’s. I just opened about twenty .rss files from other customers, and they open normally in the existing window without shrinking it. When I open files from this particular customer, they are re-sized smaller every time.

This may or may not have anything to do with it, but these programs were all written by someone else long ago when these 5/03’s were installed and they are all networked with other 5/03’s via DH485. Over the last several years, I have been the one maintaining these controllers and also changing out networked groups of the 5/03’s with 5/05’s (not the latest product, but a huge improvement in communications) as the customer doesn’t want to replace the existing I/O. This window re-sizing issue follows the file after I have upgraded to the 5/05. The same file was used and only the processor changed. These programs run fine without errors.

Anyone have any ideas as to what may cause this and how to correct it?

My laptop is running Win7 64 bit and RSLogix 500 version 8.4, but had this same issue on my old XP laptop. Changing Windows settings seems to have no effect. If I have the software running in a maximized window, it will still shrink it down when I open one of these files.

another possible culprit ...

if nothing else helps, go to the RSLogix500 Main Menu (top of screen) and try looking under File > Load/Save Workspace ...

sometimes a user will set up their own personal display preferences this way ...

if any "Workspaces" are listed, delete them and see if that helps ...

if nothing else helps, go to the RSLogix500 Main Menu (top of screen) and try looking under File > Load/Save Workspace ...

sometimes a user will set up their own personal display preferences this way ...

if any "Workspaces" are listed, delete them and see if that helps ...

Wow, thank you so much! :geek:

That was it. I had never used a workspace, so it never occurred to me that this could be the problem. That is the difference. The original programmer apparently saved workspaces in his program files. That is why I only saw the issue in files from this customer.

Makes me wonder though - why a programmer would want to use such a small window! :D

His screen may have been smaller and of much less resolution than yours. Depending on how RA kept track of size, it might display differently on various machines.

His screen may have been smaller and of much less resolution than yours. Depending on how RA kept track of size, it might display differently on various machines.

That's true. The best thing is this annoying issue is now solved and fixed. Every time I opened one of these files it would re-size the window, and every time I would go online or offline it would do the same. I typically have two or three files open simultaneously when troubleshooting because these controllers are networked and there is a lot of messaging to use I/O in other racks. Just an unwelcome annoyance when you're trying to get the plant up and running.:)