Looking for a Sanity Check

Steve Etter

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I will soon be installing a sensor whose output is a 0 to 24VDC at a frequency that could be as fast as 500Hz. I would like to connect this sensor to a digital Point I/O input module and, from what I read, it appears I will be ok using a standard 1734-IB8 where the Input Delay Time, ON to OFF is "0.5 ms hardware + (0..65 ms selectable)".

If I calculate correctly, the sensor ON to OF time will be 2ms or longer and so long as I configure my input for 0 or 1 ms, I should be good.

Does anyone see that I am wrong or missing something?

Steve

The problem is the POINTBus polling time and the network adapter connection to the controller. Even at the fastest RPI's available on EtherNet/IP, you're in the 2+ millisecond range, close enough to miss pulses.

Are you trying to count pulses, or perform a rate measurement, or something else ?

The 1734-IK module, VHSC module, or something else might be preferable.

Hey Ken - it's feedback from a flow sensor. From what the Rep is telling us, the frequency should never get quite that high (300Hz is more likely), he suggested 500Hz.

After having taken a look at your suggested 1734-IK, I believe I will order one of those. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited: