ML 1100 to CPX MSG Error

Adam303

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi gentlemen, have few questions regarding a MSG (message) instruction in RsLogix 500 (Ver. 8.10).
Here is what I’m trying to do. I want to sent a MSG write from a Micrologix 1100 (1763-L16DWD Series B) to a Compact Logix L35e processor.
I understand that a MSG read from the CPX is easier to set up however I want to trigger the MSG Write in the ML based on a condition.
I have setup a MSG instruction on the ML side and a SLC/Mapping on CPX side, however the message instruction is returning a Error at the ML “Target node cannot respond because target node denies access” Error code (Hex)eb.
Can anyone help out as to why this is happening, I went over the setup several times and think it’s corrrect, what am’I missing here.
Any help would be great. Thanks.

RS500_MSG_GENERAL.JPG

Last edited:
Are you sure the N12[x] array tag is configured for Read/Write access ?

Also try an SLC500 Typed Write message type instead of a PLC5 Write.

I agree that everything looks correct in this configuration.

try creating a new RI file and new MSG file as I have had to do this a few times with the MLs !

You might want to consider reading from the ML with the CLX, but also reading the condition you mentioned. If the condition is true, use the values you've read. Otherwise, ignore them.

Reads are more efficient than writes, too.

Communication command

I noticed that in the first post you have the communication command set to a PLC 5 write. I don't have the logix 500 in front of me at the moment but you may need to have that set to another type of setting as Ken has mentioned.

Last edited:
Are you sure the N12[x] array tag is configured for Read/Write access ?
Ken this was the problem I had N12[x] set to read only. Once I made the change to Read/Write the MSG went thru from ML to CPX. Many Thanks Ken.
Also try an SLC500 Typed Write message type instead of a PLC5 Write.
As a experiment I changed the “Communication command” from PLC5 write to 500CPU Write (Don’t have an option for SLC500 Write) and that didn’t make a difference message still went thru.

@ruimond
Reads are more efficient than writes, too.
How is that? It still has to read the whole word. Can you explain.
Everyone Thanks for all the help.

Last edited: