1769-SDN Issue Module keeps reseting itself to default

DoubleL

OK Guys,
Rockwell told me this an issue several people have had and they have no fix for it. I have a 3 million dollar boat anchor sitting here that is supposed to go into production next week.

I am running a Compact Logic 1769-L30ERM and a 1769-SDN DeviceNet card. No matter what I do or what stage of the setup process I am in this occurs. I have shortened my network to a short cable within my main panel and one device. The module will be working one minute and reset to defaults the next. The codes that flash when this happens are 20 E0 Er 64 and it reverts back to node 63 and baud 125K. Firmware versions are 20.12 in processor and 4.2 in the module. This is the second module that I have tried and the first one as flashed to v4.3.

I need help bad!!! Has anyone worked around this issue?

I have not encountered this issue before. Press RA to give you a bug tracker number or something more concrete than "yeah, we've heard about this before".

Obviously the product doesn't get out the door with a "reboots randomly" feature. There's either a hardware defect or something unusual about how you're using it that is causing it to misbehave.

Are you doing any messaging to or through the module ? Are you accessing the DeviceNet by browsing through the 1769-SDN, or are you using a -KFD or -PCD or -U2DN externally ?

If you're browsing via the CompactLogix bus, are you using Ethernet or USB to connect to the 1769-L30ER ? I can't imagine this would matter programmatically, but maybe there's something going on with a power or ground loop.

When the module defaults to Node 63 / 125 kb/s, is the Scanlist also deleted ? You don't even need to go online with it, just look for status code 75 to indicate the Scanlist is empty.

Hi Ken,
Thanks for answering so quickly.
No messaging as far as DeviceNet goes. I have been going through the back plane. I am trying to get my KFD to work now.
I have tried both Ethernet and USB but have had both connected at the same time. Not sure if that matters.

When the module resets it wipes the scanlist as well.

I am going to call RA back now and talk with them again about other options.

The "throw money at it" solution is to connect a 1788-EN2DN to the network and use that as the DeviceNet scanner over EtherNet/IP, rather than via the 1769 backplane.

That blows my mind that the module actually clears the whole NVRAM. That sounds like a defective component to me, or a whole batch of bad ones if both of the scanners you've tried do the same thing.

The "throw money at it" solution is to connect a 1788-EN2DN to the network and use that as the DeviceNet scanner over EtherNet/IP, rather than via the 1769 backplane.

That blows my mind that the module actually clears the whole NVRAM. That sounds like a defective component to me, or a whole batch of bad ones if both of the scanners you've tried do the same thing.

I will run that by my engineer when he gets here on Monday.

I cant see a bad batch as one was bought in Australia and the other
Here in Atlanta. Could be the same batch I guess. Anyhow I bricked one of them today and the other is borderline. Have another being delivered tomorrow but im not touching it until my engineer gets here.

BTW i called AB back an got the same response. The said they would add me to the list of people with the problem but they had no solution. I was able to get my drives running by bypassing the devicenet stuff temporarily but wont do for production

Just an update. Our engineer got here today and we plugged in a new card
And thought we had it working but it dis the same thing. So still have a brick

Well still no help from Rockwell. We ended up having to install another PLC
To run just the DeviceNet card an connect it to the network until they give us a solution.
They could not day when that would be.

Having same error code, seemed to happen when we commisioned the node and got no result message. Did you ever find an answer on this?

Rockwell found the problem to be that the SDN module faults when the PLC tries to access it. They have released a firmware upgrade for the module that prevents this fault. Later they said they would fix the problem in the processor firmware. The new firmware you want is v4.4
You'll have to contact Rockwell for the firmware as the version they gave us was for testing only.
I have had this running for a couple of weeks now with no more issue.

Thank you for the link, the L30 line seems to be very touchy. Reloaded the firmware on the processor and was able to commision the node.

Don't expect it to last unless you do this firmware upgrade. I thought that I had it licked several times and then it would fail for no reason or warning.

Are you mixing cable brands, I had something like this a while back
I was using 2 named brands on the Device Net cable and found that one brand crossed the blue and white cable, Did you shorten your network to one or two nodes?

Has anyone used rev 4.4 and had it actually work? I have a L33 and L36, both don't work. We tried upgrading one of the SDN cards on the backplane and it reverted down to rev 1. Is the only way to upgrade is the devnet connector.