PLCs and steppers

wdnaylor

Hey,
I'm an electrician with a little experience with PLC's and an engineering student. I have been given the task of designing a sytem that will be controlled with a PLC that will use a counter, activated by a photoswitch, to tell a stepper motor when to rotate.
What is the best system for this? I am on a very tight budget. It looks like Omrom has most of what I need, except for the stepper motor (they have servos). What is the best way (cheapest) and who provides hardware to connect a stepper to a PLC. Will I need a stepper controller, or can I do it straight out of the PLC. I also need about 4 other relay outputs, at 24 or 120VAC. I will be using about 8 inputs.
Thanks for any help!
Dean Naylor

looks like Omrom has most of what I need, except for the stepper motor (they have servos). What is the best way (cheapest)

Might i suggest you look at the Omron Smart Step Series....Similar control operation to a stepper (pulse train input) with the advantages of Servo Characteristics.....

The PLC, depending on the complexity of the application. I would look at the CPM1A/2AxxCDTx where the T means transistor output for simple applicaitons. Or the newer CJ1MCPU21 for greater control....This latest little CPU can do S curves as well....

wdnaylor said:
Hey,
...Will I need a stepper controller, or can I do it straight out of the PLC...

Depends. I've never used it but I remember reading in the AutomationDirect literature for the DL105 PLCs (10 in/8 out) that they can provide pulse train+direction outputs. IIRC, there's also some limited profile capability. I don't know about the PLC-stepper motor driver hardware. You might check with the motor manufacturer.