FactoryTalk Legacy Tag Database Conversion Question

rs14smith

Hi all,

I recently installed FT 6.10 on my 64bit Windows 7 computer, however, on my Virtual Machine where I use to do all my PLC work, it has installed FT 6.0 on a 32bit Windows XP operating system.

When I tried to open one of my HMI programs in FT 6.10, I received an error message that said I needed to convert the tags since the tags were from a FT version 6.0 or later. Okay...no problem.

However, my question is, if I proceed with doing that, if I download the converted tag 6.10 version of the HMI program into an HMI (PanelView Screen), will there be any conflicts with the tags if the HMI has an older Firmware? Or, does the HMI screen not care about what version of FactoryTalk I am using?

:site:

Last edited:
No, if the downloaded runtime file matches the terminal's firmware revision.
You could develop a project using FTVS ME 6.10 and then create a runtime file for an older HMI firmware revision.

Oh okay, I believe I understand what you are talking about. It's right before you actually download the file, a popup window shows up, and there is usually a drop down menu that lets you choose what version you wish to download to the HMI?

I am currently not near an HMI at the moment to check that for sure, but I do recall having to play around with that from time to time.

Actually, after the project is completed, you will have to "create" the runtime application (matching the terminal's firmware) in order to reflect the project's development/editing.
The FTVS Download utility deployment will direct the user to the folder where the runtime files are usually created/stored (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\Runtime); the Download utility will not automatically create a .mer file.

Actually, after the project is completed, you will have to "create" the runtime application (matching the terminal's firmware) in order to reflect the project's development/editing.
The FTVS Download utility deployment will direct the user to the folder where the runtime files are usually created/stored (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\Runtime); the Download utility will not automatically create a .mer file.

You're exactly right. I forgot that 1 extra step before downloading to the HMI...it's been a while since I had to do it. :p