DH-485 to DF1 Protocol Conversion

MikeMcIntire

I am looking for a way to view/edit the program in a SLC 5/02. Currently I am using the 1747-UIC to do this but I would like to be able to do this without using the 1747-UIC. Possible solutions include converting the DH-485 protocol to DF1 or Ethernet/IP.

The communications port on the SLC 5/02 is currently connected to a PanelView 550, catalog # 2711-K5A2. The ability to troubleshoot the PanelView using the DH-485 network is not important to me.

Upon completing some research on this subject I have found some possible solutions. However, some of them are not very cost effective or possibly won't work the way I have expected. Here is a list of some solutions that I have thought about and the possible issues I have with each.

1) 1769-DPS2
I thought this device would be perfect for providing the bridge between DH-485 and DF1. However, from what I have read it seems you cannot view or edit the program using this bridge. The bridge can only be used for messaging purposes.
2) 5201-DFNT-DH485
This is a ProSoft device, part of the ProLinx family, and will allow me to view and edit programs through the use of Ethernet/IP. The problem I find with using this device is the cost.
3) 1747-KE
The cost of this product is getting closer to what I feel is acceptable and so far it is the best option that I have found. The manual claims that the 1747-KE can provide access to examine ladder programs, monitor, or even make changes if necessary.
I figured that the use of a 1747-AIC Link Coupler will probably be required regardless of the device chosen.

At the moment I am feeling pretty strong about the 1747-KE but I would like a second opinion on this topic.

Thanks,
Mike M.

Why not just swap the 5/02 for a 5/03. The 5/03 will give you the same RJ connector DH485 port on channel 1 that you can configure identically to the 5/02 as well as a serial port with a DB9 on channel 0 which you can use for PLC programming.

What's your reason for wanting to eliminate the 1747-UIC? It's probably the cheapest solution out there for connecting to a DH-485 network.